Platy has prolapse!!

Bloodfeather

Hello everyone! I have an urgent topic again today.

My female platy, Perdita (aka Perdi) has had a small prolapse.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? almost a year
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 76~ F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 molly, 2 platies, 1 nerite

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 50% twice a month, sometimes 20-30% in between
How much of the water do you change? ^^
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? occasional vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Runbo strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15~
pH: 7.7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? 1 pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra/omega one
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? not really

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? a couple months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? this morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? small prolapse out the anus
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? She is reclusive, and has been hiding in the back of the tank for a few days now. Still eating.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
small prolapse, she already had 1 baby a while ago, I think she may have more and that is what caused it.

What do i do besides keep the water clean?

Willj626

Hi there, just do your best with keeping the water clean. However if you notice any signs like fin clamping or not eating or she is just acting poorly in general then it is probably best to euthanize her. From my experience and what I've heard, most fish don't recover from prolapses, but if it is a minor one she may be able to recover on her own.

mimo91088

What is "awhile ago"? Did she just have 1 baby right before you posted this? If so, she's probably still giving birth.

Edit: just realized the time of the OP. Any update?

Bloodfeather

mimo91088 said:
What is "awhile ago"? Did she just have 1 baby right before you posted this? If so, she's probably still giving birth.

Edit: just realized the time of the OP. Any update?
She had the baby a few weeks ago now. She still looked pregnant, and sort of like she had a gravid spot/babies in her, so I thought maybe she was preggo again.

She is still pooping and eating a bit but is hiding again.

Willj626 said:
Hi there, just do your best with keeping the water clean. However if you notice any signs like fin clamping or not eating or she is just acting poorly in general then it is probably best to euthanize her. From my experience and what I've heard, most fish don't recover from prolapses, but if it is a minor one she may be able to recover on her own.
She is fin clamping a bit and hovering near the surface. I'm keeping the water clean... and, I've been doing some research, and I've seen quite a lot of threads where platies heal their prolapses. I have hope!

As I mentioned,, she is still eating and will come interact occasionally at the front of the tank. The prolapse has not gotten worse yet.

Sadly I am unable to do Euthanization of any kind, as I am on home lockdown in my state and unable to purchase anything.

Bloodfeather

I'm sorry to say that she is not improving in terms of the prolapse.

She is still rather active, eating, and interacting.

The past couple of nights I almost expected her to pass, but she is staying strong and doing her best to make it!

I'm monitoring the water, going to do a water change today.

Willj626

Bloodfeather said:
I'm sorry to say that she is not improving in terms of the prolapse.

She is still rather active, eating, and interacting.

The past couple of nights I almost expected her to pass, but she is staying strong and doing her best to make it!

I'm monitoring the water, going to do a water change today.
Give it time, she may yet pull through, it sounds like you're doing everything right in terms of care though.

Bloodfeather

Wonderful news!!! This morning, I turned the tank lights on and was greeted by a very active Perdi! The prolapse is gone and she's out of hiding.

I'm ecstatic! Still going to try and do a water change to be sure, but she seems healthy again

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom