Platy has prolapse

nick5809

Our white mickey mouse platy suddenly developed what appears to be a prolapse (matches the images I've seen). When I woke up this morning and fed them, there was nothing. But a few hours later it was suddenly there. She hasn't been pooping very well (or at all, I think) lately, so its likely caused by constipation. I am planning to chop up some lettuce or peas or something like that to feed. Should I do that immediately or wait until the next scheduled feeding? Also I have heard that salt will help, but we already have close to the standard amount of salt for the tank (2 tablespoon per 10 gallons). However, I am not really sure exactly how much salt is in there. With water changes, we have tried our best to estimate how much we have and how much to put in (for example if we do a 25% change then we add back in 25% capacity of salt). But that's a very inexact calculation and we have probably drifted up or down some on the salt. Measured water parameters a few days ago and everything looked fine. Any suggestions? Fish store suggested using metroplex so we have dosed with that as well. What are the chances this can repair itself? Even if we fix the underlying cause, will the prolapse go back in? (for lack of a better term...).

Thanks in advance.

julien0101

You can feed peas with removed coats. This can help constipation.

Do you have any fish except platys in the tank? Some fish are sensitive to salt and medication such as plecos and cories

OP
N

nick5809

I have been feeding peas. I also think I should just fast them for a few days.

The prolapse seems to be getting worse. I really looks horrible. I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do to help.

OP
N

nick5809

The prolapse does not seem to be getting better, in fact it seems to be getting worse. Not to be graphic, but it looks like practically half her insides are now hanging on the outside. (Although I am not sure if its her digestive tract; I have also read that it could be ovaries or something else). Its really devastating to watch our poor girl like this, and unfortunately we have come to terms with the fact she's unlikely to recover. Although, who knows, she might surprise us all.

The question is, is it possible this was caused by some sort of worm / bacteria / or something else that's contagious? If so, I want to think about treating the whole tank so our other adult platy doesn't catch whatever this is. Any suggestions on what could be the cause? I can upload a picture if that helps.

Edit: As far as I know, she has never been pregnant (since we've had her), so I doubt its related to childbirth.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Oftentimes it does happen after giving birth or laying eggs. I'm so sorry this happened to your girl, I went through the same thing with one of my angels. It eventually took her over and she passed, but idk if it had anything to do with worms and think it was an unfortunate happening after spawning. I really don't think there's much prognosis for that type of prolapse but i'm hoping. Idk if Metro can help. It's mostly a treatment for Hexamita (parasite). Sorry if i'm not much help, but I don't think it's enough of indication to worry about the rest of your fish at this point. Only my opinion. How long have you had her?

OP
N

nick5809

We've had her since March, I think. So I don't believe its old age, but she could be older than we think, but I doubt she's that old.

New Threads