Platy has been pregnant for more than a month, is she okay?

Silverleaf209

So I just figured out that she was pregnant and it has been more than a month and she still has not had her fry, is she okay, is she stressed? Thanks! :)
Update!: Here are some pictures!
20220805_094147.jpg
20220805_094200.jpg

bcfishtanks

Just from a quick Google search, it looks like they stay pregnant for about a month, so hopefully you'll have babies shortly!

Silverleaf209

Just from a quick Google search, it looks like they stay pregnant for about a month, so hopefully you'll have babies shortly!
Thanks! Okay I will try to be patient a little longer!

adumsoza

a similar thing is happening with my platies, i think they are just storing unfertilized eggs. But this is just my opinion.

Silverleaf209

a similar thing is happening with my platies, i think they are just storing unfertilized eggs. But this is just my opinion.
Okay! I am just a bit nervous about the whole thing this is the first time I have had a fish give birth!

Flyfisha

If the fish in the picture is in a breeding box by the looks of the white mesh that is not going to help.

#1 it’s stressful enough to stop the drop

#2 Mum will eat the fry as fast as anyone else.

A breeding box is better used for just the fry when dealing with livebearers.
A lot of floating plants and the box can be left out altogether.

A female drops fry every 28 days and then eats them. Unless you are around at daybreak you will not even notice.

I can not tell by looking at the size of a fish if she has dropped or not.
I do see the female isolate itself sometimes just before birth away from others.

Silverleaf209

If the fish in the picture is in a breeding box by the looks of the white mesh that is not going to help.

A female drops fry every 28 days and then eats them. Unless you are around at daybreak you will not even notice.

I do see the female isolate itself sometimes just before birth away from others.
So what should I do ?

RayClem

When conditions are suitable, platys can give birth around 30 days. However, if conditions are not suitable, that might get delayed. If you put your expectant other in a breeding box, she might feel stressed and delay giving birth. She will be more comfortable in a planted tank.

Since fry normally move to the surface as soon as they are able, floating plants are ideal. You want plants with small leaves with pockets where the fry can hide. Some of the fry will become lunch for other fish in the tank, but that is part of the process. That is why platys give birth so often.

I started with 1M and 2F platys in my 55 gal tank. I now have well over 50 ranging in size from 1/4" up to full grown and everywhere in between.

Silverleaf209

When conditions are suitable, platys can give birth around 30 days. However, if conditions are not suitable, that might get delayed. If you put your expectant other in a breeding box, she might feel stressed and delay giving birth. She will be more comfortable in a planted tank.

Since fry normally move to the surface as soon as they are able, floating plants are ideal. You want plants with small leaves with pockets where the fry can hide. Some of the fry will become lunch for other fish in the tank, but that is part of the process. That is why platys give birth so often.

I started with 1M and 2F platys in my 55 gal tank. I now have well over 50 ranging in size from 1/4" up to full grown and everywhere in between.
I think I should probably let her out of the breeder net, but what makes me nervous is that I have a betta and I heard that they will constantly hunt fry!

emeraldking

4 Weeks is just an average gestation period. Doesn't mean that a female will stick to 4 weeks. It could be a bit earlier or longer. For sure if she's not comfortable enough to drop fry, then she'll hold on to the embryos. And fry will be born later.
It's also an incorrect thing to say that such a livebearer as a platy will drop fry every 4 weeks. The average 4 week period is only referring to how long the gestation period takes. For it's the female herself that will decide wether she will release one or more stored sperm packets to fertilize her eggs. If she doesn't wanna do that, she won't have fertilized eggs and fry will come later than expected.

Silverleaf209

4 Weeks is just an average gestation period. Doesn't mean that a female will stick to 4 weeks. It could be a bit earlier or longer. For sure if she's not comfortable enough to drop fry, then she'll hold on to the embryos. And fry will be born later.
It's also an incorrect thing to say that such a livebearer as a platy will drop fry every 4 weeks. The average 4 week period is only referring to how long the gestation period takes. For it's the female herself that will decide wether she will release one or more stored sperm packets to fertilize her eggs. If she doesn't wanna do that, she won't have fertilized eggs and fry will come later than expected.
Okay, do you think I should take her out of the breeder box?

Silverleaf209

She just had them!

So I had a sick fish and I was treating the entire tank and so this morning I was going to move him over and I spotted the little guy, I had stopped treating the tank for about a day since I wanted to give the tank and it's fish a break and I was about to remove the breeder net when I noticed a little fish surfing along the top of the aquarium! Sadly, I think the rest were eaten, but behold my little survivor!
20220807_102849.jpg

emeraldking

Congratulations. Sometimes it's hard to spot other fry in the tank. Maybe there are more. But yes, they could've ben eaten. But it can also be that she hasn't dropped all of her fry. That happens as well.

RayClem

Congratulations. Sometimes it's hard to spot other fry in the tank. Maybe there are more. But yes, they could've ben eaten. But it can also be that she hasn't dropped all of her fry. That happens as well.
Fry are very good at hiding. It is a survival mechanism. If it is hard for us to see them, it will be difficult for other fish to spot them as well.

Silverleaf209

Fry are very good at hiding. It is a survival mechanism. If it is hard for us to see them, it will be difficult for other fish to spot them as well.
Okay Thanks! I will keep an eye out for fry!

bcfishtanks

The amount of times I'm feeding and all of a sudden, a new catfish fry comes out of the woodwork (literally. The fry live in my cholla), is a lot. I frequently find "surprise babies," even when I didn't realize there were eggs anywhere. It's also a good way to assess how fit the babies are to survive if you plan to sell them (which I often do locally). You want to make sure you're selling good quality, healthy fish, so those that survive in their tiniest states in a community tank usually have good genes (at least in my experience).

Silverleaf209

The amount of times I'm feeding and all of a sudden, a new catfish fry comes out of the woodwork (literally. The fry live in my cholla), is a lot. I frequently find "surprise babies," even when I didn't realize there were eggs anywhere. It's also a good way to assess how fit the babies are to survive if you plan to sell them (which I often do locally). You want to make sure you're selling good quality, healthy fish, so those that survive in their tiniest states in a community tank usually have good genes (at least in my experience).
That's interesting! I have a friend that breeds them, but never knew how! I just added some charismas moss so hopefully that will grow like crazy and be a good hiding spot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PhoShow
  • Question
  • Jerriel
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Jerriel
Replies
Views