Platy Hanging Out By Heater Dies

Mackenziecromie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, so this week i just got back from a weekend trip and had my brother feeding my fish and all was well when we left. We returned to an ammonia spike and did 50% water changes and treated with prime, our ammonia went down to zero and then we had some nitrite, did another water change and then one of our platys was continuously hanging out at the very top of the tank by the heater and then woke up to her dead stuck under a piece of driftwood this morning. I was never at deathly levels of ammonia or nitrite as i was protecting with prime.. so any ideas what happend?? My four cory cats also glass surf more than i think they should be? I got them almost a month ago now, They’re’s always one or two at the bottom doing his thing and then the others are surfing everywhere .. everyone is eating.. even before my recent platy death.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even if ammonia or nitrite levels aren't at a lethal level, they do stress the fish and leave them susceptible to opportunistic infection. Perhaps this is what happened?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom