Platy Had Fry Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Ian Tankers, Jun 17, 2018.

1. I

Ian Tankers New Member Member

So i purchased a female gold platy and 2 male sunburst platies two days ago. I vacuumed my tank today and after that i noticed fry swimming around................ I feel terrible because i probably vacuumed some up. I can only find two right now but the mother still looks pretty big. Are there more unborn fish still? I also have a black molly. 20 gal tank btw. I don't know what to do with the fry. If the fry die in the tank do i need to worry about ammonia levels?

2. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Valued Member Member

I'm guessing they were eaten, those might be next depending on their hiding spot.
    I wouldn't worry it unless you want to save/move the fry

3. E

E150GT Valued Member Member

There’s a good chance she still has babies in there. Those things are always pooping out babies. I’d say if they do die, it’ll be because they are eaten. I wouldn’t worry about any ammonia spike. I mean if you find a dead one remove it but I wouldn’t worry about it until you find one. I bought a pregnant black molly. I found a baby once. Once. Never saw it again. Or any others.

4. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

Are these three platies all you've got, or do you have others? Usually you want the male to female ratio to be the other way around. Having only one female with multiple males is going to be stressful for her, and it will likely shorten her lifespan.
    As for the fry- My platies haven't been very good at eating their fry, so I'm always left with some. Your molly will help take care of it though. Having plants for them to hide in will certainly help some survive, if that's what you want. You could end up with a lot of fry though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice