Platy Fry?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Sheldon03_, Apr 19, 2017.

1. S

Sheldon03_ New Member Member

I just found a single platy fry sitting at the bottom of my tank and I took it out. I dont know what to do. Will it survive or will it die? Did the platys eat the rest?

2. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

What do you mean by "took it out"? Put it in a breeder net? Gave it it's own tank? Floating in a bowl? It should survive if you take care of it properly...

Also, the platy could still be birthing so keep an eye on her, though it is possible other fry were eaten.

3. Axolittle1

Axolittle1 New Member Member

I've had the same occurrence recently. :) I didn't expect my female to be pregnant but I found a fry behind a shell in my ten gallon. I put the little guy in a bowl and have been feeding him freeze dried blood worms. I read that he will be half grown in about month and fully grown in two.

4. fishes were wishes

fishes were wishes Valued Member Member

I just found two in my tank, I don't know what to do with them either. They are hiding in the foliage.

5. Penny_Dropped

Penny_Dropped New Member Member

We had 5 and they all survived in main tank with 2 platies and 4 mollies. 240ltr

Our pair of platies kept guard patrolling the area/cave for a few days and now they're just hang with the big guys

6. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

With enough places to hide some will live in the main tank. If you want to protect them from being eaten you can put a few in a small container for a few weeks until they grow some and can swim fast. I've done that countless time with no air or heater if the water stays at 70F or better. Just keep the water changed so it doesn't go foul.

7. fishes were wishes

fishes were wishes Valued Member Member

I actually have eight fry now. They just swim with everyone else at three weeks old.

8. JuliasTank

JuliasTank New Member Member

Our platy fry have been hiding in the floating plants and under the gravel in the community tank. They come out and swim with the big guys when they are about 1 cm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice