Platy Fry Update =)

harperc

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My platy fry have managed to survive 8 days now! That doesn't sound long but I expected to have killed them by now (I have no luck with these things) so I must be doing something right Thanks everyone for the help.

So today I'm taking a slight risk and going to be moving the fry into my 25l. My last few fish that are in there will of course be moved into my 125l (although I really wish I could leave my male platy in there ¬_¬) so the fry should be safe

I'm still a little worried about my filter in there though. It's an Interpet Internal Power Filter PF1. Is that still likely to suck up any fry? Not just the ones I have now but day old ones too? Should I put some stocking over that as well or leave it?

Also the flow of water...when the water comes out of the filter it also acts as a bubbler, so less flow means less air. I'm guessing little fry won't really like a strong current but how much air do they need?

Thanks in advance, heres some piccys of my lil fry

...Their bellies are starting to get dark, I'm guessing that's normal?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning, Great photos of your fry! Congrats!

I would recommend that you go ahead and cover the filter with nylon hose (NEVER SEEN SOAP), or sponges to prevent the fry from being sucked into the filter. (I'm not familiar with your filter type).

Everything looks normal to me If your fish begin gasping for air at the surface then you know they need more air. You could add an air stone/supply line if you think they aren't getting enough oxygen.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Ken

harperc

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks

No words can explain my excitment just a few minutes ago, I've found at least 2 surviving fry in my tank! One of them is about the size of the 3 in my 25litre and the other one looks a bit smaller...BUT THEY'RE SURVIVORS!!!

Want to catch them to prevent them getting eaten but they're hiding under my bogwood and I can't get my net in there...and some of my fish keep swimming in there and it's worrying me. Anyone got any ideas of how I can catch them without having to take the wood and the adults out? I don't want to disturb the water or stress out my fish

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yay for fry! arty0049:

harperc

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Forget that question on how I can catch them, I put the net in ready, switched the light off for a bit to encourage them to come out and then turned the light on and quickly scooped them up

I now have 6 lil platy fry to care for Can't see any more in the main tank, but as I now know it doesn't mean there's none in there

Also curiosity...if my female mated with a different coloured male, does that mean I could get all different colours from 1 batch of fry, or are they all likely to be the same colour?

2 Weeks =)

yay! they've reached 2 weeks!

So all SEVEN are healthy in my 25l...I found the 7th one hiding away the other night =)

They're all approximately 1cm now and I'm pretty sure they're from 2 different mothers...well there are 2 which are different from the others anyway! 5 of them are a yellowy colour with clear fins but the other 2 are a clear colour but with grayish speckles and darker fins...I've tried getting pictures but it's almost impossible now they have places to hide from my camera ;D

Hehe it's exciting thinking what their adult colours might be

But yeah, just wanted to say they're all ok, I can't see any more in the tank but I've said that a few times before x)

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
congrats

harperc

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Had a second batch about a week ago, only found 2 survivors though and although I keep looking I can't find any more.

My first batch of fry are over a month old now, still all alive and well Their colours are slowly starting to come out. It looks like most of them will be gold twinbar platies like their mother(s) and 2 of them are wag platies but not sure what colour they'll be yet.

One of the fry from the second batch looks like it will be another wag (which I'm so happy about, I love the wags ^^) and although it's still very young it looks like it could be a red one too which is great, I'd love another red one

It's all so exciting! And if what I've read is right they should be sexable in another month? Thats another thing I'm looking forward to I'm gonna have to try and sex them a.s.a.p so we can seperate them, we have a tank divider already. I hope at least 1 of the wags is a female (don't plan on keeping any males, only a few females).

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow those are the best shots of fry I've ever seen!! I need you to come over and take pics of my fish haha. Beautiful fish.

harperc

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
haha thanks Could only get those while they were in the breeding trap, they have too much freedom and too many places to hide now

harperc

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thought I'd do another update!

We travelled down to my nans a little over a week ago and we brought the fry with us. We started the journey with 15 fry, we lost 1 of the younger ones, it was only 2 days old But we expected to lose at least 1, and we thought 14/15 survivors was pretty good

They've been in there for over a week now, all seem to be fine although I think we've lost another of the younger fry...I can only see 2 at a time I'll find out for sure when we go home in 2 weeks Hopefully when I get home there will be some more surviving fry waiting for me...and a couple of them will probably be almost ready to drop more...it's neverending! ¬_¬ But I love it x)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads