Platy fry questions

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My platy recently gave birth a couple days ago and i have a few questions.
1. I have 11 fry, (none have died, at least the ones i managed to capture) when they reach adult size what can i do with them? I only have a 37 gallon so i have limited space so i definitely can’t keep 11 more platys. I probably only have room for 2-3 more. I know i could have let them get eaten but i just couldn’t bare to see that happen.
2. What age will they be big enough to not get eaten so i can move them into my big tank?
3. Is it like all of the 11 fry will survive long enough to get them into my big tank?

sorry for so many questions. Thank you for your help and time :)

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I cannot really answer all of your questions. However, when they can go into your big tank depends. I'de say to just look at them. Do they look big enough to not get eaten by anything? If so, you should be good to go. Just make sure to have some hiding spaces for the babies.

OP
BobbyPickles1027

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are newborn fry so very small. I’m just wondering how long they will have to be in my other tank until they can grow to be big enough for my main tank. Thank you :)

Tankmandan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Iv had Platy fry before.
1. If you don't want to keep them ask around the fish store's or find maybe a facebook group in your area. You may be able to give them away when they get bigger.
2. If they are feed well after two months they will be more then big enough to be moved into another tank. Mostly there is a rule of 1inch to add them in with bigger fish that might try and eat them.
3. My Female Platy had 60 fry and we lost 58 of them. We made a mistake of putting them with our guppy fry that were two weeks older. The guppies did not let them eat so defects were noticed and starvation. It was sad, my biggest mistake as a fish keeper :(

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i would give them 1 month then return them to the main tank. give some away from that stage on.

New Threads