Platy fry (questions at bottom)

Mahis

I have 4 white skirt tetras, and 1 male platy. Not a lot of ground cover. I want platy fry but in my community tank (20 gall) since i can't get another tank.

I am
  • Getting 2 more female platys
  • Getting a hornwort plant
  • Trading the tetras after a couple months due to lockdown and getting 3 female platys and 1 male platy.
I will eventually have 5 female platys and 2 male platys.
I will then put the fry in a trap (view image attached)

QUESTIONS
  1. What else can I do to increase the chance of the fry living?
  2. Is this setup safe for the fish?
  3. Will the Fry survive with just hornwort floating at the top (will be transferred to trap later)?
  4. How often should I change water and how much of it?
  5. last one: If I get another tank when and how should I move the fry over to the new tank

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 18

Dan12boy

I have 4 white skirt tetras, and 1 male platy. Not a lot of ground cover. I want platy fry but in my community tank (20 gall) since i can't get another tank.

I am
  • Getting 2 more female platys
  • Getting a hornwort plant
  • Trading the tetras after a couple months due to lockdown and getting 3 female platys and 1 male platy.
I will eventually have 5 female platys and 2 male platys.
I will then put the fry in a trap (view image attached)

QUESTIONS
  1. What else can I do to increase the chance of the fry living?
  2. Is this setup safe for the fish?
  3. Will the Fry survive with just hornwort floating at the top (will be transferred to trap later)?
  4. How often should I change water and how much of it?
  5. last one: If I get another tank when and how should I move the fry over to the new tank
1. You could put the pregnant females in breeder boxes and after they give birth take them out and raise the babies in it for about two weeks where they should be too big for the parents to eat them, there's another way but I'll address in question 3.
2. It should be, you have a good male to female ratio and as long as you have a good heater/filtration system you're good to go.
3. Some might but not as many as if you put a lot more plants in there. The more the plants the more likely they'd survive and the better for your fishes in general. Guppy grass and java moss are good options for plants you should get.
4. How of do you do water changes now and how much? It all depends on how quickly nitrates build up in your tank, you could use a test kit to know by testing everyday after a fresh water change and seeing how long it takes for it to get to 40ppm which is when you would need to do another water change. For how much you could do 25%-40%, that should be enough imo.
5. Same way you'd move adult fish, with a net. They'd just be a little harder to find or catch.

Upvote 0

Mahis

1. You could put the pregnant females in breeder boxes and after they give birth take them out and raise the babies in it for about two weeks where they should be too big for the parents to eat them, there's another way but I'll address in question 3.
2. It should be, you have a good male to female ratio and as long as you have a good heater/filtration system you're good to go.
3. Some might but not as many as if you put a lot more plants in there. The more the plants the more likely they'd survive and the better for your fishes in general. Guppy grass and java moss are good options for plants you should get.
4. How of do you do water changes now and how much? It all depends on how quickly nitrates build up in your tank, you could use a test kit to know by testing everyday after a fresh water change and seeing how long it takes for it to get to 40ppm which is when you would need to do another water change. For how much you could do 25%-40%, that should be enough imo.
5. Same way you'd move adult fish, with a net. They'd just be a little harder to find or catch.
Thx for the response
3: I heard hornwort grows FAST and I thought I could plop it in there and it would be good.?
4: I do 25% water changes every 2 weeks as of now
5: wouldn't the fry be too sensitive?

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

Thx for the response
3: I heard hornwort grows FAST and I thought I could plop it in there and it would be good.?
4: I do 25% water changes every 2 weeks as of now
5: wouldn't the fry be too sensitive?
3. It does, I don't personally know how fast but probably fast enough to be a lot by the time you get fry
4. You might need to do it weekly rather than bi-weekly but you may not need to, the hornwort may help reduce how long it takes the nitrates to build up.
5. Try a brine shrimp net, that should be good for them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
John58ford
  • Question
Replies
Views
Siepie
  • Question
  • My Betta Moonstone
  • Platy