Platy fry not growing

Fish4848

Member
i have had 10 platy fry for almost 7 months now and the biggest fry is only about a half inch long. they are in a 10 gallon setup with a heater and sponge filter. Does anyone know why they aren’t growing?
my ph is neutral, ammonia is 0ppm
nitrite is 0ppm and nitrate is 5ppm
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
My wife has told me before they need adult hormones around to grow. I don't know if there is truth to that. I don't really do much with the platies but water changes.
 

Queasy

Member
What are you feeding them and how many times a day? How is your lighting in the tank?
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Flakes mostly. I give them some pellets made with meat a couple times a week when she isn't looking.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fish4848

Member
Queasy said:
What are you feeding them and how many times a day? How is your lighting in the tank?
i’m feeding flakes and bloodworms twice a day and the lighting is medium
 

Queasy

Member
Fish4848 said:
i’m feeding flakes and bloodworms twice a day and the lighting is medium
How much were you feeding initially? Fry usually need tons of feedings anywhere from 5-10. They can eat every ~30 minutes or so. Platy fry usually fully grow within ~3 months, so that's kind of a red flag that yours haven't fully grown within 7 months. Also, some adults don't make it past an inch, the bigger ones are usually the ones being sold retail, so it could be just a smaller bach in general. How's the coloration on them? If they're fully colored and about an inch in size they could actually be fully grown.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fish4848

Member
Queasy said:
How much were you feeding initially? Fry usually need tons of feedings anywhere from 5-10. They can eat every ~30 minutes or so. Platy fry usually fully grow within ~3 months, so that's kind of a red flag that yours haven't fully grown within 7 months. Also, some adults don't make it past an inch, the bigger ones are usually the ones being sold retail, so it could be just a smaller bach in general. How's the coloration on them? If they're fully colored and about an inch in size they could actually be fully grown.
for the first few days i fed them constantly and when i wasn’t around i dropped in pellets for them to nibble off. their colors are starting to come in but they are still mostly pinkish. they were a cross between a red wagtail and a yellow mickey mouse. i can also tell male vs female so at least they’re developed enough for that
 
  • Thread Starter

Fish4848

Member
The craziest thing just happened, I was looking at the fry tank and I see the tiniest baby fish ever. Half the size of most livebearer fry. My fish in the fry tank aren’t even 3/4 of an inch long, yet they had a baby??? How is this possible? Are the ones I have just runts? They don’t even have adult colors, only some patterns. I am extremely confused.

?
 

mattgirl

Member
How often were you doing water changes in their grow out tank? Fish emit a growth hormone that can stunt the growth of their siblings. We have to keep those hormones down with water change. If we don't growth will slow down.

To help fry grow fast and to their full potential we have to feed often and keep the hormones down with water changes. Before I managed to reduce the number of pleco fry I had I was doing daily water changes in their grow out tank. Now I do them every 3 days.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fish4848

Member
mattgirl said:
How often were you doing water changes in their grow out tank? Fish emit a growth hormone that can stunt the growth of their siblings. We have to keep those hormones down with water change. If we don't growth will slow down.

To help fry grow fast and to their full potential we have to feed often and keep the hormones down with water changes. Before I managed to reduce the number of pleco fry I had I was doing daily water changes in their grow out tank. Now I do them every 3 days.
I started doing them every 4 days but now I do 50 percent once a week
 
  • Thread Starter

Fish4848

Member
I do have one with a deformity. She has a bent spine and is a little smaller. The fish has been eating and swimming fine, so I don’t want to cull, but should I?
 

mattgirl

Member
Fish4848 said:
I started doing them every 4 days but now I do 50 percent once a week
That should have been plenty with so few fish in a 10 gallon tank.
Fish4848 said:
I do have one with a deformity. She has a bent spine and is a little smaller. The fish has been eating and swimming fine, so I don’t want to cull, but should I?
As long as she is otherwise healthy I wouldn't cull her.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fish4848

Member
mattgirl said:
That should have been plenty with so few fish in a 10 gallon tank.

As long as she is otherwise healthy I wouldn't cull her.
Do you think that I accidentally bred dwarf platys somehow? I also moved the original “fry” to my 10 gallon planted tank to protect the newborn fry.
 

mattgirl

Member
Fish4848 said:
Do you think that I accidentally bred dwarf platys somehow? I also moved the original “fry” to my 10 gallon planted tank to protect the newborn fry.
Any thing is possible. Was your female pregnant when you got her? If she was we can't know if she bred with a dwarf. Since you found a fry we have to assume the originals are now adults and will probably not grow any bigger.

I had some molly fry for a while. Some grew as they should but 2 of them stayed very small. I have one bristle nose pleco that stopped growing at about an inch long. She is about 1 1/2 years old now. She is the perfect size for a 5.5 gallon tank. All this to say. Not all fish grow to the average size for their species.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fish4848

Member
mattgirl said:
Any thing is possible. Was your female pregnant when you got her? If she was we can't know if she bred with a dwarf. Since you found a fry we have to assume the originals are now adults and will probably not grow any bigger.

I had some molly fry for a while. Some grew as they should but 2 of them stayed very small. I have one bristle nose pleco that stopped growing at about an inch long. She is about 1 1/2 years old now. She is the perfect size for a 5.5 gallon tank. All this to say. Not all fish grow to the average size for their species.
My female is a yellow Mickey Mouse platy and the make is a red wagtail. Both were about 2 inches. She was not pregnant when I bought her. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I do have a pair of swordtails in the same tank that could have hybridized? Also, will the fish get any more color even if they don’t grow?
 

mattgirl

Member
Fish4848 said:
My female is a yellow Mickey Mouse platy and the make is a red wagtail. Both were about 2 inches. She was not pregnant when I bought her. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I do have a pair of swordtails in the same tank that could have hybridized? Also, will the fish get any more color even if they don’t grow?
I really don't know. I had mollies for a very short time. I've never had platy's. I decided they were not the fish for me. I love a peaceful tank. They were far from peaceful so disrupted the harmony in my tank. I found them a new home.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom