Platy Fry In A Community Tank

penguin02

Hello!

My pregnant platy is getting huge, and it's only a matter of time until I have baby fry. I intend to let them stay in the community tank instead of separating them. I realize most will probably be eaten, but I won't be able to care for more than a few of them anyways. I'm prepared to let nature take its course.

My stock:
26g tank
1x balloon molly
1x female platy
6x glofish tetras

There's plastic plants and decorations for the fry to hide in, so I'm counting on at least a couple surviving. Do I need to feed them anything special? Won't they starve with all the larger fish stealing their food?

Thanks, just looking for some advice on caring for them in the big tank.

BottomDweller

Floating plants like duck weed and salvinia will really increase their chance of survival.

You can feed them crushed fish food

penguin02

I'm not counting on a lot of them surviving, maybe just a few. I just don't have the space to house all of the fry. I've heard there can be between 20-60.

How do you recommend I feed them? If I feed all the fish at once, won't the bigger fish eat all the food? I feel like the fry would be too scared to come out and starve.

BottomDweller

I would start by feeding the adult fish at one end of the tank then once they're busy you can feed the fry at the other end

penguin02

The problem with my tank is water movement. The Aqueon 50 is so powerful in my tank that the surface is always swirling around. When I feed, the food is soon spread all across the tank.

Maybe feed directly where the fry are, so that the food falls right down to them? Will they maybe eat veggies or sinking pellets?

max h

My livebearers get the same food in the tank as the rest of the fish and have plenty of cover with the live plants. At one point I wanted to have one or two survivors. Right now I have about 60 between 2 weeks old and 4 months.
In a 55 gallon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Adam510
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Adam510
  • Question
  • My Betta Moonstone
  • Platy
Replies
Views