Platy Fry Growth Question

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Livielupop, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Livielupop

LivielupopValued MemberMember

image.jpg
    Are my baby platy fish ready to go into the main tank or at least one they were born about a month ago around 5-6 weeks now. I'm just questioning their size because I just don't want to mess up placing them in if they're not ready.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Ad long as they're bigger than the adult fish's mouths they should be fine. Usually by 1/2" or so it's safe for platies. The adults may chase them like they're going to eat them but they can't actually eat the babies at that size.

What kind are those? They're pretty!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

image.jpg I'll probably keep them in a week longer because they're a bit on the small size but bigger than the adults mouths for sure. Also they are pineapple hifin Mickey Mouse platy babies. In the light they shimmer a blue I love them so much!!;D That is the mother in the picture she is gorgeous!!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  4. Bijou88

I'd say a week would be good, just to be safe. They're really beautiful! Mine are all red wag and sunset wag. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

Thank you so much!!:;thx

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Beautiful platies! Are you going to be selling them?

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

8. BornThisWayBettas

Whoops, yup, welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Lol!

9. Kasye

KasyeValued MemberMember

Just popping in to say that that is a beautiful platy!

10. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

Thanks everyone!! I probably will sell some in the future when there is more babies than 3. These were unexpected so I found them in the rocks and managed to save the 3.☺️☺️

✨Liv✨

11. BornThisWayBettas

Yay!!! Baby fishies rock! :;bananababy

12. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

So one of my baby platies is I believe an a half an inch, it's kind of hard to measure. I've tried a couple times to measure her out and I'm quite positive she is. I'm thinking of letting only her out because the others aren't quite as big and she has started to dart at the walls and looking between the slits of the breeder box to get out. Should I let her out? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436550229.163162.jpg

13. Bijou88

I say yes, free the big one. It looks big enough to survive adult platies imo.

To add, don't be alarmed if the adults charge her like they'll eat her, as long as she's bigger than their mouths they'll soon give up. Mine didn't do anything more than chase the first little ones that got returned for about a day.

14. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

Thank you! Great advice!:):):)

15. Bijou88

You're welcome! :) feel free to share pictures!

16. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436566638.351909.jpg she is doing pretty good she gets a couple looks and then they swim away

The zebras seem to chase her more though ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436566735.442982.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436567914.771424.jpg Pie hiding behind the filter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  17. Bijou88

They'll get used to her before too long. She'll also get braver pretty quickly once she discovers she won't be eaten. :)

18. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

Awesome cause I was starting to think they had no brain sometimes....when they would notice she was good than a few minutes later they were ooh attack;D;D;D

19. Thomas Lin

Thomas LinValued MemberMember

Fry swim pretty fast. With some hiding spots they should be good. I just found some new fry in the tank, can't be more than a centimeter, and they are doing fine, swimming around the base of plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice