Platy fry deformity question

1. nhaiflich Member Member

I have a fry who was born on June 11. I have never noticed anything weird about it until 5 min ago. When I was looking down from top of tank trying to sex my cories it came into view. It has a bent tail. When I look at it from side it looks fine. But from top it's body looks normal until where the tail starts. Then there's a small curve and goes back straight to tip of tail. No problem swimming or eating or pooing. So not really sure what to think/do. I don't want it to be in pain or anything. It's not acting as such. Yet. So what do you all think. Take the wait and see approach and euthanize if necessary? Do it now? Not sure what to do:(

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, honestly, that to me is a personal issue. If there is not any obvious problem with routine functions, I see no reason to euthanize. However, if you think it will be an issue, you could euthanize now or wait until it is a problem.
    I think this is one of those things that depends on the fish keeper.

3. nhaiflich Member Member

I do agree. Was hoping maybe someone had experienced something similar and could tell me about it. Or if this was like a known, oh my goodness can't believe it's still alive kind thing.I like to try to collect as much info as possible before making a decision like that. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm horrible at explaining what's in my head. Lol.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

If the fry is deformed, you don't want it breeding when it grows up. I would separate, rehome if possible, and euthanize if it became necessary to preserve the health of future fish.