Platy Fry Care

1. W

Wasika Wahab Rafa New Member Member

I've got a surprise platy fry without any idea about how to take care of it.

In the morning when I was feeding them I noticed that the female platy was thinner. So I thought may be it gave birth. I searched and found a single fry which was hiding under a decoration. I was very happy to see a little baby fish. I thought it will survive that way. But the dumb fry again came out and was eaten by the Boss platy. I have separated the next fry. I really want it to survive. I've put the fry in a small disposable coffee cup with some tank water and I've put the mother in a fish net at one corner to protect any other fries in case they are born.

So what should I do to make that fry survive? I've tried feeding it by crushing a pellet. But it won't eat. Can I keep it in the cup until it's bigger? I'll be changing the cup water daily. I'm so much excited. I was jumping out of happiness.

2. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Use a larger container such as a couple quart plastic bowl. Don''t over feed and keep the water clean. A coffee cup is too small to use for long. If the water fouls from uneaten food the fry will die. Fry will usually eat by day two. He doesn't need much if you don't get a bunch more. .

3. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

I've heard people saying you should feed fries 4-8 times daily and I know that's correct but won't that result in uneaten food
    I have 13 (2 days old) fry in a gallon bowl I've seen them all eating and bobbing at the leftovers but that's the problem there will be a small amount if leftovers any suggestions on the. Right amount?

4. OP
    OP
    W

I've shifted the baby to a 2L mug.

So how much food should I give? I'm currently using betta pellets to feed my platies. Pellets are big. I feed 1 pellet per platy. I crush it to divide it into half. Otherwise its too big for them.

5. Faris101

First how big is your pellet because they have different sizes ?

6. OP
    OP
    W

The pellets are about 1mm in diameter.

7. Faris101

Yes then Half of it crushed fed at least 3-5 times a day should be enough if you see no leftovers

8. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Go pick up a wad of Anacharis or hornwort (any floating stem plant works but those work best) add it to a corner of the main tank and be sure to drop some finely crushed food over it. The fry will hide in it, and you will in a few months have more fry than you know what to do with.

And I feed mine once daily just like the adults and the same food I feed adults.