Platy Fry Born Sooner Than Planned....

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Lcarr727, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Lcarr727

Lcarr727Valued MemberMember

So...I came home to 2 platy fry...i was aware one of my females was pregnant but thought I still had a while because her gravid spot was still pretty small and she had not started to box off in her belly yet.. I already prepped my main tank by adding a floating plant and made a rock cave that adults cannot fit into (along with my regular tank decor which includes a little house, big bushy silk plant and a small Java fern) I was actually just starting to set up my small 3 gallon tank to transfer the fry into, but it was just set up tonigh. I just put water (with top fin water conditioner) and 2 plants (one real one fake) about 1 hour ago. I have a bubble filter to put in but I do not have my regular filter yet (it wont be here until early next week) and I also have marineland bacteria starter to put in....Am I able to put the fry (if I can catch them) in the tank now? I know its too stressful to move the female or should I take that chance?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Don't move the female, it might make her either abort the fry or absorb the fry. As long as the temperature is the same (or within 10f of the main tank), it should be okay. Also be careful when catching them, since the platies will try to eat the fry, so keep the adults as far away as you can from the fry as possible.

3. OP
    OP
    Lcarr727

Thanks..this is so stressful....lol Ive been putting off getting the fry tank together thinking I had more time...I dont know if she is going to have more, or if these are the only 2 that have survived getting eaten....

4. FishFish221

Sometimes they give birth a few at a time for a week, and then there are some that give birth to the whole batch at once. Just depends on the individual.

5. OP
    OP
    Lcarr727

oh man...its gonna be a long night

6. OP
    OP
    Lcarr727

How often should I do water changes since my fry tank is an un-cycled tank? I did put a fake plant and the air stone in the fry tank that were directly from my main tank so hopefully that will help with some good bacteria, and I also put in the bacteria starter along with the water conditioner

7. FishFish221

8. OP
    OP
    Lcarr727

even without my filter? Its scheduled to arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

9. FishFish221

The fry at this point have really small bioloads. They only start to have large bioloads when they reach about 0.5 inches, where you would need to be changing 40-50% of the water every two days.

10. OP
    OP
    Lcarr727

ok, thank you so much! I'm new to this whole fry thing. Just when I think I've researched and read as much as I could in the last month about guppys, platys and live bearers in general, I'm completely confused...im so glad I found this forum. We had mollies and Neon Tetras growing up and the mollies had babies all the time and we just left them in the take for self population control, and those who survived did. I've attached a photo of one of the little guys. I checked the main tank pretty good this morning when I woke up and no new ones have been dropped yet and mom is acting completely normal.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice