Platy fry and filter

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone! I'm new to fishlore but have been browsing for a couple weeks since I set up my 20 gallon. I have 4 platy fry in a 5g tank with an Aquatech 5-15 hob, after watching them fight the current for a few days I got a bit worried that the poor little guys would be sucked into the filter intake so I put a small piece of new/clean cheesecloth over the end, is this ok? Or would it be better to take it off and let them fend for themselves?

Vulpes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to FishLore !!!

I would say to leave the cloth over the intake,just to prevent any risks of them being sucked into the filter and getting killed.

Divus

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with Vulpes, leave the cloth over the intake as this will give the little guys more of a chance.

Sent from my C6903 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks! That's sort of what I was thinking too, just not sure if the cheesecloth will deteriorate or not, I guess I'll wait and see.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Quick update now that's it's been a few days, in the future I would recommend against using cheesecloth, it gets disgusting. I'm now using a piece of plastic mesh doubled over, let's hope it works better. fwiw.

aHumanBeing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pick up some filter floss, cut it into a little rectangle and wrap it around the intake. Then secure it with a rubber band or a some string. It will prevent them from getting sucked in. As a bonus it will collect bacteria on it and you'll have a bit more beneficial bacteria in the tank
floss.jpg

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if the filter is a tube that sucks water out of the tank like a hob and not a submersible, get a brand new sponge cut it to size, nock a hole in cener and shove over the tube end water will still get through but it will be gentler for the fry, they also make sponges to cover the intakes on hob filters.

Nickynack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I put filter floss on my intake for my 6g fry tank (currently 12 x 2 week old fry in there!) and it also gets very dirty! But I can live with it for a month till babies are safe in the big 55g tank/new 100g coming soon!

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks everyone! So far the mesh seems to be working but I think I'll pick up some floss tomorrow as it sounds like a better idea.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom