Platy flaring with torn fins

1. vasyat Member Member

Hi. I have 6 marigold platies (all male) in a 16 gallon tank that is moderately planted. I got them 2 weeks ago and they were doing well. The only change is I added 4 amano shrimp 3 days ago and the shrimp are doing well. Today I noticed that 1 platy has a torn top fin and keeps flaring and chasing the others. A few times he was flaring so much he started to go vertical (head up). Water parameters (checked 2 days ago after a 25% water change) were ph 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5. Temp is 77 degrees. The only other thing is that on Saturday while cleaning algae I accidentally pushed on ancharis with my brush and trapped one platy but he seemed to do fine after 1 pushed the Ancharis stems away from him. Any ideas on what's going on? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Nicoldeme Member Member

Don't worry, they're just figuring out who's dominant over the rest. If they don't stop over the next two weeks or so, or you notice actual wounds, maybe one of them being bullied by the others, then separate the bully or the bullied. Make sure everyone is getting enough to eat and no one is hiding excessively.

3. vasyat Member Member

Here's a pic of the split in the upper fin. It noticed it fairly suddenly and my repeat water parameters from yesterday are ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 5. I'm assuming it's from fighting as the fin edges look pretty clean. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

4. Nicoldeme Member Member

No need to worry, I notice torn fins in my platys occasionally as well. They're all female (except for a few rogue fry I have yet to catch) and have been together for almost a year, and they still nip every once and a while. As said before, wait until you see major bullying or wounds before you separate them :)