Platy fish too old to have babies...?

fishbreeeder

Member
Hi
Lately, I've noticed my first beautiful orange platy Mango slow down and stop being the first to eat. I figured she was getting a bit old but then I realized that she hasn't been pregnant or had babies for a while, which is very weird since she usually has a CRAZY amount of fry. Is she too old for this? If so how old is she? I really like her and well, I will miss her a lot.
 

Kribensis27

Member
I’m not sure if platies even can get too old to breed. I just bred one of my 4 year old girls who is barely able to swim anymore to a one year old healthy male and they produced plenty of babies. Maybe she just wants to take a break from breeding.
 

jkkgron2

Member
She might be getting old but it’s also possible she’s just stressed out from having too many babies and needs a break.
 
  • Thread Starter

fishbreeeder

Member
Kribensis27 said:
I’m not sure if platies even can get too old to breed. I just bred one of my 4 year old girls who is barely able to swim anymore to a one year old healthy male and they produced plenty of babies. Maybe she just wants to take a break from breeding.
jkkgron2 said:
She might be getting old but it’s also possible she’s just stressed out from having too many babies and needs a break.
Thanks! The weird thing is that the male HAS mated her but I don't see any signs of her pregnancy.
 

Kribensis27

Member
They can save sperm for a fairly long time, so she could just be saving it until she’s done with her break.
 
  • Thread Starter

fishbreeeder

Member
Kribensis27 said:
They can save sperm for a fairly long time, so she could just be saving it until she’s done with her break.
Thanks
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom