Platy fish swimming sideways

Goghforth

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gal
How long has the tank been running? 9 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 77
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
4 adult platy, a snail, 8 fry. Fry will be moved soon.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1x a week
How much of the water do you change? 10-20%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes the tank is mature
What do you use to test the water? Liquid test kit api
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 25ppm
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1x daily
How much do you feed your fish? A small pinch of flake most days, frozen brine shrimp 1x during week
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Not at home I forget but it's high quality.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Just the brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 8 months

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? This morning

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Female Platy is swimming sideways and having difficulty controlling swimming. Will lay on the bottom a lot, but still swim with the other fish if interacted with.

Have you started any treatment for the illness? No.

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Swimming sideways. She gave birth 4 days ago to 8 fry and was acting perfectly healthy.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

My female platy gave birth 4 days ago and is now swimming sideways and spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank. If her mate visits her she will swim with him but spends a lot of time at the bottom. Started today. She was swimming fine before giving birth and seemed fine the few days after.

Edit: her eyes are starting to pop out little and her gills look puffed out. She is not looking good. :(

Batmantheanglefish

It’s probably a sickness/disease of some sort I’m not gonna say for sure what it is cause I’m not an expert at this but it could be something wrong with the swim bladder. One of my fish had this problem and acted very similar to your platy. Hopefully you can figure out what it is (if not swim bladder) and treat it! Good luck :)

Upvote 0

Goghforth

It’s probably a sickness/disease of some sort I’m not gonna say for sure what it is cause I’m not an expert at this but it could be something wrong with the swim bladder. One of my fish had this problem and acted very similar to your platy. Hopefully you can figure out what it is (if not swim bladder) and treat it! Good luck :)
I'm just not sure what she could have since nothing new has entered the tank in 8 months other than her two batches of babies.

Upvote 0

Slapp

Usually swim bladder problems aren't caused by something contagious.

It's an organ, and sometimes it gets squeezed. The fish could have accidentally swallowed a bubble, or a piece of food that's too big, or a whole number of things. (Could've eaten a baby, you might want to recount.)

Avoid feeding it, watch and see if it poops. You could try temporarily upping the water temp to 79 or 80 to speed that up. Sometimes that's all it takes. Fixed my gourami once.
If you have the equipment you can put it in quarantine and give it anti-bacterial medicine, but other than that it's a sit and watch.

Sometimes they get better, sometimes they don't, but they aren't suffering too bad so just wait.

Platies are pretty resilient fish. I'm pretty sure she'll recover.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hemikyle
Replies
Views
Rosemoss
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies