Platy fish breeding questions

fishbreeeder

Hi
New to breeding
My platys gave birth to 8 fries and I am expecting more. After a few weeks, 1 will move them into a 2.5-gallon bowl with an air pump and sponge filter and plants. I plan to keep them in there until they are a little less than 2 months. Then they will be transfers into a 15-gallon tank with 3 others. They will be sold a week later. I want them to be raised happy. Is this ideal.

SM1199

They could be moved back into the main tank earlier than two months. As soon as they are large enough not to be able to fit into other fish's mouths, they will be fine. I would say one month maximum is all they need.

flyinGourami

If they are big enough not to fit into the adult's mouths, it should be fine. If you keep them in the 2.5 gallon(which I wouldn't do), make sure to do those water changes.

fishbreeeder

They could be moved back into the main tank earlier than two months. As soon as they are large enough not to be able to fit into other fish's mouths, they will be fine. I would say one month maximum is all they need.
Ok but when will they be colorful. And will the 2.5 bowl work when will they get most of color and sex

If they are big enough not to fit into the adult's mouths, it should be fine. If you keep them in the 2.5 gallon(which I wouldn't do), make sure to do those water changes.
It has a filter and a heater and i will change the water. When do they get colorfull and sex

SM1199

Ok but when will they be colorful. And will the 2.5 bowl work
Yes, it will work when they are small. They are born with some color and slowly develop it as they age, there is no set point in time for that.

fishbreeeder

Yes, it will work when they are small. They are born with some color and slowly develop it as they age, there is no set point in time for that.
What age can I sell them and know sex

flyinGourami

What aga can I sell them and know sex
There is no specific age.. It depends on a lot of things. Technically you could sell the at any age, but most will sell once they are juveniles. At least thats what I see.

e_watson09

You will really need a bigger grow out tank for them. A bigger tank will allow them to grow faster and be able to stay full time. Moving fry around is generally not ideal as they're pretty sensitive. Usually it takes about 3 months until they're big enough to sell.

Are you looking to sell for money? Often most LFS do not give much, if anything, for livebearers unless they're a rare type.

fishbreeeder

You will really need a bigger grow out tank for them. A bigger tank will allow them to grow faster and be able to stay full time. Moving fry around is generally not ideal as they're pretty sensitive. Usually it takes about 3 months until they're big enough to sell.

Are you looking to sell for money? Often most LFS do not give much, if anything, for livebearers unless they're a rare type.
no, I am breeding for fun and to see breeding. Each platy is named and i know its own behavoir.

I currently have 8 fry and 2 pregnant mamas. At what age will they eat food without it being crushed. When will I know their gender? What age should I sell them.

SavTheArtist

I currently have 8 fry and 2 pregnant mamas. At what age will they eat food without it being crushed. When will I know their gender? What age should I sell them.
At about 8 weeks you can tell gender, or about 3 months. Usually you can sell them shortly after they can be gendered, or reach a good size.

Be careful though, at 3-4 months they can breed.

Once they reach a good size they can probably eat flakes.

e_watson09

Generally about 2-3 months you can tell gender. Platy generally aren't a higher ticket item to trade into the LFS so I'd probably bring them in sooner rather than later to open up tank space as waiting from them to grow from juvenile to adult stages really isn't going to make a huge difference

fishbreeeder

Generally about 2-3 months you can tell gender. Platy generally aren't a higher ticket item to trade into the LFS so I'd probably bring them in sooner rather than later to open up tank space as waiting from them to grow from juvenile to adult stages really isn't going to make a huge difference
I am not breeding for profit. I name every fry and rehome. Its fun

At about 8 weeks you can tell gender, or about 3 months. Usually you can sell them shortly after they can be gendered, or reach a good size.

Be careful though, at 3-4 months they can breed.

Once they reach a good size they can probably eat flakes.
Thank you. Do you know any places where I can sell locally.

SavTheArtist

Thank you. Do you know any places where I can sell locally.
Some LFS may take them! Especially if you don't ask for payment, and just donate. I've never heard of a LFS that didn't accept free fish...

Or you could try Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace, but that's more work for you.

fishbreeeder

Some LFS may take them! Especially if you don't ask for payment, and just donate. I've never heard of a LFS that didn't accept free fish...

Or you could try Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace, but that's more work for you.
I will try all that. Thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

• fishbreeeder
  • Platy
Replies
Views
fishbreeeder
  • Question
  • fishbreeeder
  • Platy
Replies
Views