Platy eats too fast for my other fish to catch up.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think his tankmates are becoming malnourished because he gobbles up so much of the food before they.

My neons and blue ram are much slower to react to food and don't gobble near as fast. My platy is a monster.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
how do you feed? i take a pinch of flakes or pellets and put my hand in the water and wave it around so they spread all over. or you can let it go by the filter to make it spread.

other then that you can catch him and feed separately.

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know how big your tank is but feeding simultaneously at both ends of the tank may help.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also find when feeding bottom dwellers I use a turkey baster. I feed the fish on top first then I use the turkey baster to blast a little down on the bottom.

I do this a lot when I get new cory cats and such. Sometimes they're a little too shy at first to come up. Then I do the turkey baster thing when feeding about once a week or every other week just to give them a little extra down there.

Aniemel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the opposite problem! I think my platys are malnourished because my guppies and glofish eat EVERYTHING as soon as it hits the water. My platys hang out in mid-level and will go up once the other fish are done and nothing is there. So, I will try the suggestions of others for my platys! I will be getting corys eventually so the tips will become very helpful if they are even more shy than the platys!

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

Maybe you have this food already or maybe it does not suit your fish but just in case this helps, I just purchased a heavy sort of food made for both tropical mid-water fish and bottom dwellers, it falls to the bottom of the tank after a few seconds so maybe it would suit your situation as it covers the whole internal area of the tank. It is called tetra prima mini granules. You might know of it or have it even but I thought I should say it just in case!

Good luck!

h2o4nyc

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I kind of dig the whole turkey baster concept, very ingenious.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use my fish-turkey-baster every day! You can get one for only a few dollars, but it's really indispensable. I used it last night to feed everyone bloodworms - suck up a few, then spot feed single fish (two bettas and an apisto) or sprinkle all over the surface so everyone gets some (community tank). I also use it for dosing dry fertilizers (I mix the powder in tank water first).

At any rate, even if you find another solution or find that using e_watson's method doesn't work (which I think it totally should), a turkey baster is a great tool to have anyway so it definitely wouldn't go to waste.

Aniemel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought a baster just from hearing about them on these forums! I haven't used it yet but will soon! Sounds like something important to have that noobies (like myself) wouldn't even think of needing!

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The main one I'm concerned about is my very shy new blue ram. I can't keep feeding multiple times a day bc my platy will literally explode. Also I think a baster will scare him off.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They learn. When I had my apisto (fish in my avatar) in my 55 gallon, he wasn't getting enough food, and I tried to feed him with a baster and he swam away. I eventually started just using the baster to drop the food from like six inches up or so, so it would fall on him but he wouldn't be scared of the baster. Now he swims right up to it. I feed him flakes from my fingers (I hold them right under the water and he grabs them out of my fingers) and I feel him bloodworms from the turkey baster. They learn to associate it with food eventually.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Blue Ram has been interactive and voracious. No more problem, it simply took some time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom