Platy dropping her fry right now

Discussion in 'Platy' started by kidster9700, Jul 21, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Okay, I was messing around in my tank trying to catch my glolights. Afterwards I peeked into the breeder net and saw a fry dropping to the bottom of it! So i closed my tank hood and waited. She hasn't dropped anymore yet, I'm sure she'll do it when I'm not in the room. But her single fry is a stillborn... Is that bad? What should I do! I want to turn off the tank light so she doesn't eat all the fry, but then I won't know when she's dropped them.

any help? i'm trying to leave her alone but i'm anxious to get her out as soon as she drops them to save as many as i can

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

She'll still possibly eat them in the dark :( I think they can take a number of hours to birth though I'm not too sure on the timeline as mine typically birth during the night/early morning. I would check on her just to make sure the babies aren't all stillborn, if they are then she's likely aborting them due to stress, this happens in breeder nets and boxes sometimes. I doubt it will bother her that much if you turn the light on for a moment, or use the moonlights if you have them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

i've never been able to have a fish successfully drop fry in a breeder net so i'm not surprised. i keep trying because its not really a big deal if she holds off on birthing, but i don't want her to abort them :/ i only put her in yesterday and she's been okay so far. minus the stillborn.

4. Bijou88

She might be fine birthing them in there, I've honestly never tried myself, I just let them birth in the tank and scoop babies later.

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

the little stinker is holding off on dropping them. -_- i'll give her two more days in the net, and then move her over to the 10g i have set up for fry and maybe let her try and drop them in there.

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Still no fry. But she hasn't miscarried either. Anything I can do to speed things up? There's lots of cover in the breeder net for her and the fry to hide in. She seems happy and isn't stressed or clamping her fins. I was so excited last night about her dropping them and now she's mocking me and keeping them....

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Bijou88

That's weird, I have no idea. ..unless she's eating them shortly after having them, even then I'd think you'd see a few. ..

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

no, she is completely full still. her tummy hasn't shrunk at all. how can she drop one fry and then not finish in the next 24 hrs? i don't know if she's dropped any more, it took her two hours to eat the stillborn from last night. maybe by morning she'll have dropped them.

9. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

okay, i just scooped up a single fry from the breeder, i'm sure she dropped a few and ate them, but i'm getting confused here. why is she making this last days???? she doesn't appear to be dropping any more tonight so i have the solo fry in a water bottle with mesh over the opening floating in the tank to keep it from being eaten.

10. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Lisa Schuster Altmiller Valued Member Member

Imo it's because she's in the breeder. That stressed the moms out and can cause them to abort or hold on to their fry for a long time.

11. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

if my fry tank was cycled i would move her in there but its not ready :/ i know the move would be stressful, but she would have 10 gallons to swim around in. if she was going to abort don't you think she would have by now? i'm positive that if i took her out she would drop all her fry but i want to actually keep them. if they get dropped in the tank sure they'll survive but it'll be months before i can catch them. i've been trying to catch my last glolight for two weeks. i want that dumb fish out of my tank but because of all the driftwood and plants i ended up messing up all my aquascaping chasing it around the tank. :/

12. Bijou88

I agree, i think maybe the breeder is stressing her out, it seems like she should have had more this far in if she was comfortable. I would put her back in her tank or the 10g if it's ready.

13. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

the 10g currently has like 4ppm ammonia right now. it just started to cycle :/ i used some lava rock from my main tank but i guess it wasn't enough to make it go quicker.

14. Bijou88

Yeah definitely don't put her in there yet. I still say just let her birth in the main tank, just get a bunch of floating plants (real or fake, makes no difference) so the fry will have cover. I would worry about her holding the babies too long, no idea if that can be a problem or not.

15. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Alright, it's been three days. I'm really hesitant to let her go in the big tank because her first fry batch is going to be the only one that's pure red wag. After this it's going to be a mutt mixture since I don't have any of the same colored platies in my tank. I guess I could move her to the 5.5 that is recovering from ich and stuff? I would have to add a ton of my old plastic plants but it COULD work. I think the Molly fry are too big to be eaten now so they will be okay. They're like over a centimeter long.

16. b

bobsr1961 New Member Member

You can also try a partial water change with the new water 2 to 4 degrees cooler. This usually activities the birthing and or mating process in live bearers

Sent from my SM-G920P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

17. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Really? It's a 38 gallon so maybe 4 gallons?

18. b

bobsr1961 New Member Member

I would go with close to a 1/4 tank change so abt a 9 gallon change

19. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay. I'm currently trying to get that ten to cycle by tomorrow so she can go birth in there, but for now I'll do probably 6 gallons as I can only carry my 5g bucket just over half full.
    And it's kind of far to the sink so I don't want thee trips

20. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

This is why I keep tons of Najas and Water Sprite on hand. Throw a double handful in a 10 gallon tank and it is insta-cycled. The plants suck up ammonia directly, and carry more than enough bacteria to provide any other biological filtration required to cycle the tank. I've done it hundreds of times, especially for expecting female livebearers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice