Platy diving at anchor on bottom of tank???

ChiLady

Reaction score
HI group, I have two Platys that every once in a while will dive at a plastic anchor I have in my tank for decorations. Can any one tell me why they do this? Could it have anything to do with the cleanliness of the tank? Because they seem to do it when it is close to time when I have a tank change. Or rather if I am late with that change. Also I have a Platy that is protecting a certain corner at the bottom of the tank. What could that be about? Thanks for any help in this, God bless.

Francine

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes a male platy will try to hide in corner of tank, because another male has established dominance.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well, first we have to know what other fish do u have in that tank & what is the tank size? if there r bigger fish in the tank may be the platty is afraid. r your platies male or female? keep 2 females for each male. platies r very active fish; about the diving thing, I think they r just playing.

OP
C

ChiLady

Reaction score
I have 3 platys and 3 hatchet fish, and 2 tiny baby platys in a 30 gallon tank. The platys are 2 females and 1 male. I don't think they are afraid, because there reallly isn't any other fish bigger then they are. The hatchet fish are thicker through the bodie but not bigger. They both share the tank well, and the platy that is protecting the corner doesn't always stay there. I just notice it down there through out the day. I heard some one say if they are sick they will dive at the rocks on the bottom of the tank. And so I wanted to see what others thought.

New Threads