Help Platy died RIP

Avery101

Reaction score
I have a healthy cycled 36 gallon tank. My platy has been living in there for a few months with his other friendly aquarium fish and been perfectly happy. Then out of the blue he died. I guess I am just looking for some answers. Anyone have any ideas of how he died?

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are the other fish a docile species? Maybe they pick on him at night or when you aren't watching? I have had the same issue with calm fish turning and picking on my smaller ones. Also is this the only platy in the tank? I have heard that they like to be in small groups.

OP
A

Avery101

Reaction score
emilyyyyy said:
Are the other fish a docile species? Maybe they pick on him at night or when you aren't watching? I have had the same issue with calm fish turning and picking on my smaller ones. Also is this the only platy in the tank? I have heard that they like to be in small groups.
I had two. All other fish never showed signs of him being picked on

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Avery101 said:
I had two. All other fish never showed signs of him being picked on
Hmmmm, seems odd that it would just die so suddenly. Maybe there was a spike of ammonia? or nitrate? nitrite? Not sure. It could have been just stress from being only in a pair.

OP
A

Avery101

Reaction score
emilyyyyy said:
Hmmmm, seems odd that it would just die so suddenly. Maybe there was a spike of ammonia? or nitrate? nitrite? Not sure. It could have been just stress from being only in a pair.
No, the tank was balanced and cycled. Maybe but it never showed any signs

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Avery101 said:
No, the tank was balanced and cycled. Maybe but it never showed any signs
Yeah that is odd, I would just periodically check the water for random spikes I guess, and see if the other one has the same issue since it is alone now. I've never had this happen, but it could have just been a random death too. Something unexplained, and so hopefully it doesn't mean the same for your other fish.

OP
A

Avery101

Reaction score
emilyyyyy said:
Yeah that is odd, I would just periodically check the water for random spikes I guess, and see if the other one has the same issue since it is alone now. I've never had this happen, but it could have just been a random death too. Something unexplained, and so hopefully it doesn't mean the same for your other fish.
Yea hopefully. My other fish have been acting totally normal and healthy

New Threads