Platy Died Giving Birth

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Checked on my fish last night to find my female platy who would of given birth soon died, then managed to find 11 surviving fry. Didn't see her give birth before she died but her body was no longer squared off so I'm assuming she managed to.

There was no marks or symptoms before this. I have no clue why she died. But she's the second female to die while ready to/giving birth in this tank - which has been this tanks only deaths. But that other death was nearly a month ago.

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've had a strain of guppies where the fry grew too much inside the mother, and would tear her apart when she gave birth. It took a lot of time, effort, and tanks to stop that from happening, but it's still fairly common in the strain. This could be what's happening to your fish.

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The fish might of been old but I just went to change the water again and discovered another of my females (younger) also died giving birth. I'm now very worried about the other 3 or 4 females who should give birth by the end of next week.

But I'm now thinking something is wrong with this tank. But no one looks or is acting sick. The two dead females look perfectly fine (second one didn't finish giving birth) so idk what to treat for. I did an almost 65% water change. And I'm gonna wait a few hours and do another big water change.

And it's only been a couple days since their last water change... (Yes the tank is cycled though there was a bit of an ammonia spike cuz of the dead bodies)

The first fish it was her second time giving birth with me and the second female was her first time. They were both fully grown when I got them so I'm sure they've had babies before.

And a few days before this my balloon belly gave birth with no issues other than the fact she gave birth only 2 weeks after her previous batch.

Something is going on I just don't know what.

And yes these babies came from two different fish and not just one. It was pretty obvious due to her going from boxed to a skinny and then more babies appeared 12 hours after her death

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It happens pretty often with my guppies it may not be normal, but it's life you can't really do much about it.

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FriarThomasIII said:
Usually happens to livebearers during their first pregnancy and whenever they are old. C'est la vie. Less likely as time goes on.
Okay, so I shouldn't be worried that all of my first are about to die?

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sometimes you just have to hope for the best. Like I said, C'est la vie. It's not too common, but it mainly happens first pregnancy

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well. Here's to hoping then. The next female who should be giving birth it'll be her second time giving birth her entire life (got her really young). You can do it!

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
phantom said:
sorry to hear that you should keep at least one to carry on her legacy!!!
Hopefully I'll be able to!

Unfortunately all my female shrimp managed to die as well in this tank. The levels were all fine but something happened in a 2 day period since the last death that seemed to manage to destroy my cycle. Maybe it was the ammonia spikes from the dead bodies? But now I have ammonia, nitrites, and the nitrates @.@ why did you break?

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
luckdown said:
Hopefully I'll be able to!

Unfortunately all my female shrimp managed to die as well in this tank. The levels were all fine but something happened in a 2 day period since the last death that seemed to manage to destroy my cycle. Maybe it was the ammonia spikes from the dead bodies? But now I have ammonia, nitrites, and the nitrates @.@ why did you break?
very sry for that to have happened to you its happened to me once but luckily I caught onto it very early and moved them to a standby tank

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
phantom said:
very sry for that to have happened to you its happened to me once but luckily I caught onto it very early and moved them to a standby tank
Sadly don't have that option so. Daily water changes till it cycles again! Did a 50% change today and will do 10-25% daily until this sorts itself out. Also added another filter (sadly not cycled but hey it can't hurt) that was meant to be setup eventually as a spare. But now it gets to live in this tank. Maybe whatever caused the crashed helped cause the deaths? But honestly I think the deaths caused the crash

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This has happened to me before with certain strains of guppies. It just happens and there's nothing you can really do to prevent it. I would recommend to keep doing what you're doing, you take care of your fish really well!

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a pregnant guppy right now that I’m worried about.

I moved her and another pregnant one in to my rearing tank about 10 days ago. Both seemed ready to pop.

The other one gave birth within 24 hours, I gave her 24 more to recuperate. Her partner is still in the rearing tank with about 50 fry and is HUGE. I think i’m gonna lose her soon.

Just push baby!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom