Platy died and after I noticed a weird spot

werose

One of our platy fish died earlier today. (We have 4 platys and they all have seemed healthy and doing well.) After I retrieved the body from the tank, I noticed a strange dark spot. Anyone have an idea if this spot could be related to why the fish died? (I tested the water tonight also and all levels were normal.)
8C56B114-5C94-4BB7-851D-C6C748D12FA7.jpeg

For comparison, This is a picture of her when she was alive:

38DBA153-D783-43C1-8839-D0A760291851.png

Desi

It looks like internal bleeding of some sort, but that’s just a guess. Maybe she injured herself bad enough to cause death?

OP
werose

werose

!poogs! said:
Do you have a pleco in the tank? They will sometimes start chowing down. that is what it reminds me of.
No, we only have the 4 platy fish.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Its a small but complex animal and it doesn't take much to go wrong to cause death.

As long as you have developed the skill of maintaining good water quality your fish will remain generally healthy and you will have only the occasional unexplained death.

Its well worth having the attitude that you can always do better and can become more successful.

OP
werose

werose

Redshark1 said:
Its a small but complex animal and it doesn't take much to go wrong to cause death.

As long as you have developed the skill of maintaining good water quality your fish will remain generally healthy and you will have only the occasional unexplained death.

Its well worth having the attitude that you can always do better and can become more successful.
Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately I think something may have caused suddenly illness. When I went to bed, our dalmatian platy was hovering near the surface which I thought strange because he wasn’t eating. Just like he was trying to get air, but I wasn’t sure what was up. I checked the water levels and the water was okay. No issues with ammonia or nitrate or nitrites. We woke up this morning to 2 more dead platys and the Dalmatian was lying on the bottom. He was still alive but struggling. I quickly tried to research his behavior and attempted to try and do a 50% water change, in case low oxygen was a culprit. But before I could even get that going, he died. So all 4 platys died within 24 hours.

77F9D343-0D47-4911-802F-22D8ACCC46F2.jpeg

Our Mickey Mouse platy also had a dark spot near the gills/fin.
I keep looking for other signs like fungus, but I’m not seeing anything else obvious.

Anyone have thoughts?

Now all 4 Of our fish are dead, which is extra sad because yesterday was my daughter’s 9th birthday and she loves our fish so much.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Wow that is so sad!

I've had these low points too of course so I can sympathise.

However, at least I knew the cause and what to do about it.

I'd only be guessing if I had anything useful to suggest.

I've kept platies several times and never had this kind of trouble.

Bowl45 004 - Copy.jpg

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
werose said:
Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately I think something may have caused suddenly illness. When I went to bed, our dalmatian platy was hovering near the surface which I thought strange because he wasn’t eating. Just like he was trying to get air, but I wasn’t sure what was up. I checked the water levels and the water was okay. No issues with ammonia or nitrate or nitrites. We woke up this morning to 2 more dead platys and the Dalmatian was lying on the bottom. He was still alive but struggling. I quickly tried to research his behavior and attempted to try and do a 50% water change, in case low oxygen was a culprit. But before I could even get that going, he died. So all 4 platys died within 24 hours.

I keep looking for other signs like fungus, but I’m not seeing anything else obvious.

Anyone have thoughts?

Now all 4 Of our fish are dead, which is extra sad because yesterday was my daughter’s 9th birthday and she loves our fish so much.
Seems like something killed them that was in the water like a chemical or something. Did you do a water change and forget to add dechlorinator?

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
werose said:

Anyone have thoughts?

Also are the fish pineconed? It kinda seems they are in the image.

New Threads