Platy Crossbred With A Neon?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Des8366, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Des8366New MemberMember

So I have a blue platy that was pregnant and had some fry. And I am fairly certain it crossbred with neon tetras. Is this possible? There was only one survivor. He is dark blue with red fins and red on his stomach. The other two female platys are a very pale blue.

Attached Files:

2. QuicheValued MemberMember

I don't think that's possible..when did you buy her? It's likely that she was fertilized at the store, platies can become pregnant months after being fertilized. But congrats on your fry!

3. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Platies cannot crossbreed with neons. Livebearers can hold sperm for up to 6 months so it was just impregnated before you got it.

4. Des8366New MemberMember

Ive had her for about 6 months maybe 5. Hes very pretty am just extremely confused by the color patter being so different from the other two platys and I was sure they were both females! Lol

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Young can look different than adults....

6. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

On that note could they have multiple fry at different time without having to breed every time? I had 2 female feeder guppies, both were present, got them out of the big tank in time and they both got much thinner so I assumed that both had given birth. three weeks later there were another dozen fry in my big tank. (With an 8" goldfish!) They're the only 2 guppies I have. (I got an African butterfly fish that LOVE the fry)

7. Des8366New MemberMember

I see, we haven't had much luck with any babies, I have some gourami in the tank as well and they usually eat them lol so this one is the first baby to ever service. I was just shocked

8. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Absolutely impossible, as they are not even closely related. One is a livebearer and one is an egg scatterer. The father must have been from before you got the mother :)

9. Des8366New MemberMember

Thank you for your help everyone! She must have been right on the edge of pregnancy! Just glad to finally see a baby outsmart the bigger fish in the tank! Lol

10. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

First thing I did when my guppies had their fry was send a picture to my mom (who "kinda" supports me in my fish obsession, she loves my fish just not what I spend in them) and tell her she's a grandma. She got a good laugh out of that. I'm in my early twenties, single, and have every intention of staying that way. Couple weeks later I told her that she should be proud of me, I haven't lost a kid (fry) yet! She said she was. I told her grandma did a good job of raising mom to teach me to be such a good mother. She said don't tell grandma that.

11. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

The fry is a juvenile that looks like a blue wag platy. I am guessing that she gave birth to him a couple of months ago at least.

12. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Yes they can! They can have multiple batches from one male encounter months later. My female guppy had 3 fry, I took her and the 3 fry out and put them in a different tank. A month later and 30 more babies popped out. Another month later and there were 30 more. They all looked exactly like the fish she happened to be swimming with at Petco (her brothers). Leave the fry in there and they will eventually mate with their brothers/sisters/parents.

13. Des8366New MemberMember

Wow I didn't realize. He must be really good at hiding then lol I did really frequent water changes due to a snail infestation and move all my aquarium decoration around and vacuum it out as well I don't know how he has survived so long if that is the case! He is one lucky little fellow!

14. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

They can be really good at hiding...the whole "survival of the fittest" thing was definitely in action here! The aquarium decorations could have been what he was hiding in. I had a juvi molly hide inside of a castle the whole time that she was in there. Didn't know she was there even after moving it lots and lots of times...Found her when I took the decoration out of the tank!

15. Des8366New MemberMember

I found two more babies today. They are very much smaller than the fish I questioned above and a lot lighter. They are definitely platy as well. I can't believe it. Im very upset Ive had my four gourami four over a year now and not a single baby or nest one. The same with my neons.

16. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

If you want to breed the gourami or neons they might need to be in a breeding tank. Are you sure you have both male and female gourami? How many neons do you have?

17. Des8366New MemberMember

Im not positive but I thought so from there size and fins and such. Isn't that how you tell with the gourami? If not I've done it all wrong and its no wonder in hides from the other lol. I have 2 blue gourami or three eyed whatever you want to call them and two sunset gourami. And about 11 neon tetra. 2 blue platy 3 fry 4 zebra danio 4 cobra guppies and 4 sunset guppies and two giant plecos. 75 gallon tank with 2 100 gal tetra whisper power filters I use live plants BC my fish like to eat them but there were a couple little snails on the plants so now I have a snail infestation and have been trying to deal with that without having bg to do an overhaul of my tank. So daily water changes to suck out as many of the nasty snails as I can BC they are overrunning everything and the puffer fish I hear will pick at my guppies and neons

18. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I'm pretty sure their is a fin difference in the gourami that allows you to tell the difference, as well as size, but it isn't fool proof from what I understand. The are kind of like bettas too, they prob won't breed with a lot of current going on in the tank. The nest would be destroyed all the time.

Your danio and neons might not breed in warmer waters (i'd have to look it up for neons, but danio likes cooler waters) I wouldn't put a puffer fish in there unless you remove all the other fish and then when he is done eating the snails, give him his own home. Your plecos are going to outgrow the tank too, if they are the common plecos. I'd say there is a bit of stocking issues but I'm not really good at them, I can just see them from time to time :)

19. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

My Platy and my Neon crossed.

The Platy was a male.

The Neon was a female.

First, the Platy swam from the left of the tank to the right of the tank, proudly displaying his fins which were outstretched.

Then the Neon swam from the right of the tank to the left of the tank. She was behaving submissive and swimming to one side of the Platy.

They did this at roughly the same time and in the middle of the tank they crossed and then continued on their seperate ways.

20. Des8366New MemberMember

The plecos have gotten pretty big lol. I read somewhere that they would grow to fit your tank but I guess you can't believe everything you read lol
    My water temp ranges between 72-74 degrees Im not sure how warm that is to a fish but to me that's roasting lol its what the local fish Dr told me to keep my heater set at. I will look into it. And maybe get another tank set up for some of my guppies. It doesn't seem overstocked but Im not an expert or anything. I just know the basics and I got the illnesses down pretty well lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice