Platy chasing my Dwarf Gourami

shaf

Hello to everyone,

I am new to this forum as well as having this hobby. My previous homeowner left me a 55 Gallon tank with 6 fishes in it. After two weeks of moving into the new place, I found that two of the inhabitants (two small tetras) disappeared. After speaking to some guys at a local aquarium store, I found that it was the doing of the kissing gourami that I had. I rehomed it and the large pleco that was in it. Then I studied and waited for few days to bring in 6 platies (2 m & 4 fm), 1 swordtail (m) and two mollies (1 of each sex). I just brought 3 dwarf gouramis (1 m & 2 fm) today after more than a week after I brought the last platies and noticed that one of the platies is continuously chasing one of the female DG and nipping her. Is there any particular reason for this behavior? What should I do in this case?
Thanks everyone.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, welcome to the forum and happy holidays to you too

Livebearers seem to be jerks at times, not that I have much experience with them but that often seems to be the case.
As for what to do, I think wait and see if it calms down for a week or so, fish will often be quite curious to things added to their tank and unlike Gourami(who have a modified ventral fin) they only have their mouths to investigate things.

A picture of the tank and fish might help. I would also like to see a picture of the female Dwarf Gourami. Depending on where you are in the world females can be fairly hard to come by and males are often sold as females.

kallililly1973

We tried a powder blue Gourami in a heavily planted 55 but the Mollys chased it constantly n eventually stressed it to death... I know not the same a platy but I’m would think similar. Also I’m surprised your fish store friend didn’t tell you that multiple dwarfs can sometimes be an issue. That’s about all I can help with if that’s even any help at all ... sorry for the typos

shaf

Hi JonjerJosh22 and kallililly, thanks a lot for your reply.

I have added some pic here, one is of my set up, one is of the two female DGs and the last one is of the notorious/curious platy.

I know I am missing some plants in my set up which is planned for the next few weeks. Any advise on the best options for this community?

Could anyone please confirm if the platy in the pic is a male or female? I was told that it is a male but a bit confused.

On the DG, I was told that it could be a possible issue with two males but 1 male and 2 females should work fine. Even 3 males should be okay too. Expert opinion on this would be really appreciated.

Depending on the size of the tank, can I add 3 more DG and few more coreys (3/4) in the coming month?

Thanks again

MomOfLiveBearers

I just had to move my dg's into a different tank because my guppies were nipping at her.

shaf

Thanks MomOfLiveBearers for sharing the info.

Can anyone confirm if DGs are algae eater? Mine seems to be liking it.

jinjerJOSH22

shaf said:
Hi JonjerJosh22 and kallililly, thanks a lot for your reply.

I have added some pic here, one is of my set up, one is of the two female DGs and the last one is of the notorious/curious platy.

I know I am missing some plants in my set up which is planned for the next few weeks. Any advise on the best options for this community?

Could anyone please confirm if the platy in the pic is a male or female? I was told that it is a male but a bit confused.

On the DG, I was told that it could be a possible issue with two males but 1 male and 2 females should work fine. Even 3 males should be okay too. Expert opinion on this would be really appreciated.

Depending on the size of the tank, can I add 3 more DG and few more coreys (3/4) in the coming month?

Thanks again
Unfortunately the Gourami are all male. The Blue females won't have the strong red colouration in the tail or usually at all in the body. Males are also very good at tearing chunks out of each other. It's not guarantied to end badly but I would be surprised if it didn't become an issue at some point.

You could certainly add more fish though I would suggest rehoming 2 dwarfs before adding a few females.
Most Gourami will eat algae, though don't feed them just algae they need more protein.

shaf

OMG!!! I was told that both of them are females and I got another flame DG which is supposed to be the only male. Anyway, I got them just few hours ago and watched them for some time to make sure that they get along just fine. Till now, haven't seen any issue. If this remains the same, should I keep them as I am not thinking of breeding?

They are definitely getting flakes, I am also planning to get them some small pieces of raw vegetables, any other suggestions?

Thanks guys, this forum is really helpful, making everyone's life so easy by sharing valuable experience.

shaf

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Unfortunately the Gourami are all male. The Blue females won't have the strong red colouration in the tail or usually at all in the body. Males are also very good at tearing chunks out of each other. It's not guarantied to end badly but I would be surprised if it didn't become an issue at some point.

You could certainly add more fish though I would suggest rehoming 2 dwarfs before adding a few females.
Most Gourami will eat algae, though don't feed them just algae they need more protein.
Hi jinjerJosh,

Thanks again for confirming that they are all males. I spoke to the fish stores today and got three powder blue female dwarf gouramies.

Uploaded the pic of the new ladies as well. Could anyone please confirm if they are actually females?

All the males were gentleman for the last 24 hours though, I didn't want to take any chance!!!

Now my tetra wants to be friend with one of the females and kind of chasing her as it is the same size of the tetra.

Thanks guys..

jinjerJOSH22

shaf said:
Hi jinjerJosh,

Thanks again for confirming that they are all males. I spoke to the fish stores today and got three powder blue female dwarf gouramies.

Uploaded the pic of the new ladies as well. Could anyone please confirm if they are actually females?

All the males were gentleman for the last 24 hours though, I didn't want to take any chance!!!

Now my tetra wants to be friend with one of the females and kind of chasing her as it is the same size of the tetra.

Thanks guys..
They actually look like females congrats
So, just to be clear did you return the males or just add females?
The way I read the post at first was that the males where acting gentlemanly towards the females. Though after re reading it sounds like you switched them but I just want to be sure because having that ratio of Dwarfs sounds like a recipe for disaster.

shaf

jinjerJOSH22 said:
They actually look like females congrats
So, just to be clear did you return the males or just add females?
The way I read the post at first was that the males where acting gentlemanly towards the females. Though after re reading it sounds like you switched them but I just want to be sure because having that ratio of Dwarfs sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Thanks again.

I had three males at first, then added three more females today. Now I have 6 DGs altogether. Planning to add 3 more females in the coming week. Would you please confirm if I need 3 more or the current ratio (1:1) is okay?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom