Help Platy changing gender???

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have read on a couple sites that platies can change gender. Wondering how true that is? I have a platy that has the pointy male analfin but also looks like there’s a gravid spot... I’m confused

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is possible to have “sneaker males” who are just young males that appear female. This is often true for particularly large livebearer males, they’ll look like big females then suddenly they develop the gonopodium. I’ve had it happen with swordtails.

I’ve heard of them “changing genders” but until I actually see a female (which has given birth) turn into a reproductive male then I say it’s a myth.

So just remember, all fish when young will appear female until they start developing their male characteristics.

OP
Ssnaaiil

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Demeter said:
It is possible to have “sneaker males” who are just young males that appear female. This is often true for particularly large livebearer males, they’ll look like big females then suddenly they develop the gonopodium. I’ve had it happen with swordtails.

I’ve heard of them “changing genders” but until I actually see a female (which has given birth) turn into a reproductive male then I say it’s a myth.

So just remember, all fish when young will appear female until they start developing their male characteristics.
I have had this fish for 18 days and it has always had its gonopodium and a gravid spot...

lobobrandon

Reaction score
I had a platty for almost 2 months that I thought was a female, turned out to be male all of a sudden one morning. It just matured, I guess.

I do not see a gravid spot on your platty and if you see one it is very likely that it's just colouring?

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Females will appear to turn into males but theyre just last developing males they where never actually females but no males can't turn into females.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can mention that the sex change (different from a late male) is not a myth. It has even been scientifically proven in 2003 (way after a lot of people , including myself, have observed it with females that have been pregnant before and dropped fry).
I'll post a quote from my own website overhere regarding the sex change in the Xiphophorus genus.
Screenshot_2020-07-07 Livebearer intro.png

Only females of the Xiphophorus genus that are of a Aa genotype are able to transfer sex. All AA females (which most females are) can't. A lot of people think the sex change is a myth and so they have to be late males. But those people just don't know that there are three genotypes when it comes to gender.

And an old female that will show male traits has got nothing to do with being an Aa genotype but that's got to do with the overactivity (by hormones) of the socalled msx genes.

I just wanted to put this out here for it happens too often that this sex change is called a myth. For years ago, many scientists already knew that this was happening but couldn't prove why it could happen and therefore it wasn't a proved phenomenon. But they worked with the fact that there were only 2 sex genotypes. Not knowing at that time that there are actually 3 sex genotypes.
The scientific world always want a hard evidence why something can happen. So, if it's not scientifically proven while they know it's possible, than it will be considered a myth or just a theory. But ever since it's known that there are 3 sex genotypes, it opened up doors.

A huge difference between a late male and a tranformed female is that a late male has never shown a gravid spot (which is a translucent part of the skin). A transformed female however will keep the gravid spot (for it's only skin and nothing more) after transformation.

A socalled pseudo gravid spot is a phenomenon that can happen to males when they're juveniles (just a small percentage will develop one). But the pseudo gravid spot is not a translucent part of skin but the density of the melanophores (dark color cells) is increasing and will be shown as a dark spot in the skin at the same spot where the gravid spot of a female would be. Once such a pseudo gravid spot shows up, it will never fade again. This happens more often with male platies than with male swordtails. And this pseudo gravid spot does also occur in other livebearer species such as male members of a number of Brachyrhaphis species.

New Threads