Platy breathing heavily and inactive

Lmg01

Hi! One of my female platys has been breathing heavily and not swimming much all day. She did eat, but afterwards she just went back to the bottom of the tank. She has no visual signs of illness on her scales. She can swim. I moved her to a smaller tank so I could monitor her. She could be pregnant. It is hard to tell because she’s very small. All of my other fish are fine. A while ago, I had a female molly who was doing the same thing. The molly was fine after a few days. I never saw any fry when that happened, but I hadn‘t been looking. She seems to be swimming a bit more in the smaller tank, but she is still breathing very heavily. The only other fish in the tank with her now are two platy fry which will be released into my main tank very soon. What should I do?

BBgold

Hi:) I have not had platys but I've had many guppies and mollies and it sounds like there might be ammonia poisoning. Did your molly improve after water change? When my molly got sick he did the same thing and after a water change and stress coat he started improving quite quickly. I could very well be wrong, I have not had platys or female live-bearers but that could be a possible cause:)

Upvote 0

babyfish

What are your parameters in your main tank?

Upvote 0

BBgold

Mine or theirs? I haven't had issues with ammonia or nitrates in a while, my molly got sick around the time I was still new to the hobby. He passed a few months ago because he got lodged in one of my plants. It was very sad, I'd had him for a long time and he was very sassy I miss him

Upvote 0

Lmg01

Hi:) I have not had platys but I've had many guppies and mollies and it sounds like there might be ammonia poisoning. Did your molly improve after water change? When my molly got sick he did the same thing and after a water change and stress coat he started improving quite quickly. I could very well be wrong, I have not had platys or female live-bearers but that could be a possible cause:)

I only have test strips, so I can’t test ammonia, but my nitrite was 0 and my nitrate was 10. Hardness, chlorine, and ph were good as well. I plan on getting a test kit soon. I still need to do a water change on the small tank I have her in. I haven’t gotten a chance because of swim practice and school, but I’ll do it now. I can’t remember if the molly improved after a water change. The molly wasn’t nearly as bad as the platy is though. They might not even be the same thing. The molly has always been a healthy and strong fish though, while the platy is very small and weaker.

I can’t test ammonia (I have test strips, I plan on getting a kit soon) but my other levels were good. gh-250 nitrite-0 nitrate-10 chlorine-0 kh-110 ph-7

Upvote 0

BBgold

I only have test strips, so I can’t test ammonia, but my nitrite was 0 and my nitrate was 10. Hardness, chlorine, and ph were good as well. I plan on getting a test kit soon. I still need to do a water change on the small tank I have her in. I haven’t gotten a chance because of swim practice and school, but I’ll do it now. I can’t remember if the molly improved after a water change. The molly wasn’t nearly as bad as the platy is though. They might not even be the same thing. The molly has always been a healthy and strong fish though, while the platy is very small and weaker.

I can’t test ammonia (I have test strips, I plan on getting a kit soon) but my other levels were good. gh-250 nitrite-0 nitrate-10 chlorine-0 kh-110 ph-7

Okay that's alright, I know life can be demanding so don't overstress yourself. Continue working on getting a test kit and I'd monitor the parameters to make sure everything is good. Has the platy always been weaker than the others? It's possible it will always have issues, and if that's the case and nothing improves you might want to consider euthanasia. Clove oil is pretty easy to find and it's a very humane way to put them down. I've had to do it and it's very sad and difficult but sometimes they're not able to bounce back.

Upvote 0

Lmg01

Okay that's alright, I know life can be demanding so don't overstress yourself. Continue working on getting a test kit and I'd monitor the parameters to make sure everything is good. Has the platy always been weaker than the others? It's possible it will always have issues, and if that's the case and nothing improves you might want to consider euthanasia. Clove oil is pretty easy to find and it's a very humane way to put them down. I've had to do it and it's very sad and difficult but sometimes they're not able to bounce back.

I’ve always euthanized my fish with vodka. I read that that was a good way to do it. It has always been weak. There was a period where I had to net it and give it extra food because it wasn’t getting enough. I’ll just do water changes and monitor her. I don’t think I’ll euthanize her unless she loses her ability to swim, which she hasn’t.

Upvote 0

babyfish

You said at the begging you had a molly that was doing the same thing,and got better. Which means it is probably is happening to this platy. I think it would be extremely helpful if we know the cause. How often do you do water changes? How big is your tank, and whats the stocking?

Mine or theirs? I haven't had issues with ammonia or nitrates in a while, my molly got sick around the time I was still new to the hobby. He passed a few months ago because he got lodged in one of my plants. It was very sad, I'd had him for a long time and he was very sassy I miss him
Oh sorry I was asking for Lmg01's parameters.
I am very sorry about your fish though, and I hope things are going better.

Upvote 0

Lmg01

You said at the begging you had a molly that was doing the same thing,and got better. Which means it is probably is happening to this platy. I think it would be extremely helpful if we know the cause. How often do you do water changes? How big is your tank, and whats the stocking?

The tank is 20 gallons. It has 3 adult mollies, and 3 adult platys including the sick female. I just added two 1 month old platy fry, but I added them after the female got sick. I do a water change once a week, sometimes more than that. I currently have 2 filters on the main tank, but I will move my sponge filter back into it once my newborn molly fry get older.

Upvote 0

BBgold

I’ve always euthanized my fish with vodka. I read that that was a good way to do it. It has always been weak. There was a period where I had to net it and give it extra food because it wasn’t getting enough. I’ll just do water changes and monitor her. I don’t think I’ll euthanize her unless she loses her ability to swim, which she hasn’t.

That works. Whatever you think is best will most likely be best, you know her better than anyone. Does she have a name?

Upvote 0

babyfish

The tank is 20 gallons. It has 3 adult mollies, and 3 adult platys including the sick female. I just added two 1 month old platy fry, but I added them after the female got sick. I do a water change once a week, sometimes more than that. I currently have 2 filters on the main tank, but I will move my sponge filter back into it once my newborn molly fry get older.
Does she look normal? like has her color changed, white spots, bloated, etc? Maybe disease? It could also be that she is pregnant and dying, because she can't get her fry out. Just an idea I don't know what else it would be.

Upvote 0

Lmg01

That works. Whatever you think is best will most likely be best, you know her better than anyone. Does she have a name?

Her name is Kovit. She’s named after a male book character
Does she look normal? like has her color changed, white spots, bloated, etc? Maybe disease? It could also be that she is pregnant and dying, because she can't get her fry out. Just an idea I don't know what else it would be.

Her color hasn’t changed. She looks completely normal besides the heavy breathing and lack of swimming. She’s really tiny and she’s never had the platy chest shape. (I am positive she’s a platy, she is not a molly.)

Upvote 0

babyfish

Her color hasn’t changed. She looks completely normal besides the heavy breathing and lack of swimming. She’s really tiny and she’s never had the platy chest shape. (I am positive she’s a platy, she is not a molly.)
I guess she might just be a weak one then.
I once had a platy that didn't look right...maybe a little deformed. She started laying on the bottom one night breathing heavily. So then I decided to isolate her.... and a couple hours later she stopped moving, and died. Maybe we just have weak platys?
I hope yours makes it further than mine did!

Upvote 0

Lmg01

I guess she might just be a weak one then.
I once had a platy that didn't look right...maybe a little deformed. She started laying on the bottom one night breathing heavily. So then I decided to isolate her.... and a couple hours later she stopped moving, and died. Maybe we just have weak platys?
I hope yours makes it further than mine did!

That sounds like what happened to mine. Hopefully she gets better. My other female platy already has tiny rips at the end of her tail from the male focusing on her too much. Thanks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Butterscotch
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Butterscotch
  • Question
  • Butterscotch
  • Platy
Replies