Platy behaviour

1. agw09 Initiate Member

Hi everyone :)

I have 4 platy (3 female, 1 male) in a 15 gallon tank. I used to have 2 males but the smaller male was chasing the bigger one and harassing one of the females so i rehomed him.

Now my remaining male is acting strange. When there were 2 males he didnt pay attention to the females at all but now i think he's biting the female my last male was harassing. He flattens all his fins and tail and darts at her and bites (or it looks like he bites) She doesnt seem all that bothered by it as there are lots of places for her to hide but she doesnt.

I am currently cycling my quarantine tank and i am considering putting him in it as i am worried about the female as she is starting to look a bit pale and i think she is pregnant. I am considering using my quaranting tank as his permanant home. I have checked her fins and they are all fine, no rips or anything.

Also he only pays attention to her and she is the same colour as him (orange and black), my other 2 females are yellow and black. I dont know if this matters.

If i did use my quarantine tank (10 gallon) as his permanant home i'd be scared to add more fish to it (of course once its cycled) incase he was agressive towards them. Not that there is much more i could fit in a 10 gallon.

What does everyone think? Will he calm down or should i move him?

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

3. agw09 Initiate Member

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

20 nitrate is good. I've heard platties referred to has evil more than once lol. sometimes they can just be mean. Maybe somebody else will have a better answer for you.

5. Shine Well Known Member Member

From the ones I've had I'd say that platies are not only mean, but they are racist as well. My male would always pick the ones closest in colouration to himself to obsessively try to mate with... and torment and drive into hiding the others. Now maybe I just got a particularly nasty male, but some of the stories I've heard from others makes me doubt that easy answer.

Good luck with your "pig-of-a-platy". I eventually dealt with mine by isolating him from all the females (of his species). Given that he would drive to exhaustion or torment the others to death, it just works out better in my case :p Hopefully yours isn't quite as evil

6. agw09 Initiate Member

Thanks,

To isolate him did you put him in another tank?

The two females of the same colour usually stay together so i though maybe they stuck with others of the same colour.

I was thinking of taking him out for a few days and puting him back in and seeing if that calmed him down.

Dont think my boyfriend is keen on me having two full time tanks but the male is his favourite so maybe he wont mind to much :s

7. Shine Well Known Member Member

Yep, I stuck my male with a pack of endlers, and moved the females to a different tank. You could try creating a ton of hiding spots, and plants to break up lines-of-sight. That might work for you. It all depends on your specific fish. I just got too annoyed with mine's piggy ways :p

8. agw09 Initiate Member

Thanks for the reply :)
    I have loads of plants in the tank.....fake and live. She never hides, just lets him harrass her :s
    I went today and bought a small tank, 19L (5G) for a quarantine tank and a new filter so i'm gona put him in my current quarantine tank once its cycled lol. Oh i need a bigger livingroom lol!!
    Will he be okay alone in a 10G or would he need compay of other fish? If so, what would fit in a 10G with him?