platy behavior??

1. fbn Well Known Member Member

I have 2 platies. Male= salt and pepper. Female= double bar platy. Well, the female's body will get all big to the point it is almost like a box. So, you think she is going to have fry. Well, the next day or something she will get smaller and I don't ever see fry. Then she will get kinda fat again. I have never seen any fry and I have had her for months. I don't understand why she gets fat and then small so quick. This happends in a matter of days (her getting bigger than smaller), not like a month. So, it isn't the span of her gestation period. What could this be? Oh, and she is healthy. Thanks!

2. redlessi Well Known Member Member

My platies are so fat they always look pregnant. Try feeding frozen peas once a week to make sure she is not constipated. Not sure but maybe she is eating the fry that she does have.

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

LOL... I'm with reds! I keep hoping my platies will get preggo but it just seems that they are fat. :p

4. fbn Well Known Member Member

Yes, I have thought that the fry might be getting eaten, especially with the kinds of fish I have in my tank, but I think that I would see at least 1 at some point?!

5. Jackie Frost Member Member

I suspect they are getting eaten too. It only takes about five minutes. I know because as a kid I saw baby sword tails being devoured by their parents! I screamed for my parents to do something but they were ill-prepared at that time.:'(

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think you'd necessarily see any. They are small and can get eaten very quickly.

7. fbn Well Known Member Member

Yup, the other night I saw fry. All were gone the next morning. So, I got some java moss