Platy baby with fin rot and filter problems Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by konstargirl, Mar 22, 2010.

1. konstargirl

konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Today, I notice one of the 1 month old platy fry had fin rot in its tail. Now he/she is the only one with fin rot so far. It's still eating and swimming find. I notice there were some fighting in the nursery tank too. What should I do?

Another problem I have is that lately, my aqueon power filter has not been pumping out as much water in the aquarium. I rinse the catridge last week and I haven't change it since January. So should I look inside of it to make sure nothing is plugged up?

Thanks. :confused:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

fin rot is probably cause from bad water as your filter isnt working properly :(
    can you get a test for ammonia/nitrites/'nitrates ?
    take out your media from your filter and rinse it in some water you remove from your tank with a water change....then clean out the intake valve and make sure that is clean....

3. OP
    OP
    konstargirl

Sure, when I come home from school. The poor 1 month old baby died this morning inside its little nursery with all of the other 9l 3 day old fry and its 1 month old siblings. :( I'm so glad that none of the other fish were affected by this.

What intake valve? Is it that tube that the water comes in? What about the whole inside?

4. OP
    OP
    konstargirl

Here are my levels if you need them. Also, some of the 4 day old fry have some nipped fins on them, but the other 1 month olds do not. They were probably nipped or had fin rot because of there mother constantly chasing them.

Ammonia: 0.25
    Nitrite: 0.25
    Nitrates: 5.0

I did around 20-25% water change yesterday. My mom says that I'm always cleaning the tank( I do like 2-3 times a week with small 20% water changes. I also cleaned it with tank water and its fixed now.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    konstargirl

I did another water change today after I dropped the Platy fry to the pet store because the tank was overcrowed. Now it seems not so overcrowed anymore...

Anyway, I want to keep doing water changes, but should I ease them off for a while so that the filter will do its job?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice