Platy And Plant Flicking, Video Included, Really Need Help, Scared For Fish

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is the first time I've kept live plants in with my Platy and I notice they do a quick "Flick" on the plant. Like they very quicky flick their gill area on the plant.
I checked ALL over them and other fish for signs of Ich.
No signs of Ich what-so-ever. It's only a few platy that are doing this.
Do they just like the plants? One of my platy charged it and nipped at it. Then another platy was picking at it like it had algae on it.
They only do this with my anubis and it's random.
They don't continuously do it. It's more of a swim by it, flick and swim away.

EDIT : ZERO chance of ammonia burn as the tank has 0 ammonia in it because i'm a tank clean freak. That is a sunset Platy and that orange coloring is natural for her and she's had that color all her life.
EDIT : I have a 24/7 ammonia reader in the tank as well.
EDIT2: Around the fish gills of the 3 fish that are "Flicking", all 3 of them have shiny scales around their gills.
The gills don't looks red just shiny?

Sorry for the quality, they won't sit still!

Attachments

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never seen them do this flick thing, seems odd to me. I'd watch out. But they do constantly 'charge' at plants. Platies are always hungry and pick on algae.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MattS99 said:
I've never seen them do this flick thing, seems odd to me. I'd watch out. But they do constantly 'charge' at plants. Platies are always hungry and pick on algae.
The plant picking and charging doesn't happen often. It's so weird.

techfool

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could be irritated gills. An ammonia spike too small to be registered by your test kit or a change in water parameters that has bothered them.

THE HABITAT

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it did look like it was your sunburst in the video flicking off the plant and in your pic it appears its gill area is a little red...Check your water parameters to make sure there is no Ammonia and Nitrites and that your Nitrates are in the 20's. that's the sign of a cycled tank

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BravetheBetta said:
make sure the anubias doesn't have its rhizome buried
Stay on topic.
techfool said:
Could be irritated gills. An ammonia spike too small to be registered by your test kit or a change in water parameters that has bothered them.
I have 0 ammonia in the tank. I know for a fact no one has ammonia burn. That platy is a sunburst and around her gills is the same color around her tail. It's sunset orange. She's had that coloring all her life.

KO_

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is a symptom to a lot of things. Check the poop of the fish to make sure it isn't clear. Keep an eye out for other symptoms of something being off and we can help pinpoint a little more.

While I don't think it was an ammonia spike because you tested it at 0 and no other fish are showing signs, it is still possible you have a spike and the filter processed it out. You wouldn't register on the test, and you wouldn't see red gills because it already has the coloring. Just for future info.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
KO_ said:
This is a symptom to a lot of things. Check the poop of the fish to make sure it isn't clear. Keep an eye out for other symptoms of something being off and we can help pinpoint a little more.

While I don't think it was an ammonia spike because you tested it at 0 and no other fish are showing signs, it is still possible you have a spike and the filter processed it out. You wouldn't register on the test, and you wouldn't see red gills because it already has the coloring. Just for future info.
The Fish poop has been normal and the Platy have all been normal expect for that. I haven't seen anyone acting differently than usual in the tank. I'm trying to give you all the info I can.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Around the fish gills of the 3 fish that are "Flicking", all 3 of them have shiny scales around their gills. Also One platy I had to remove and separate as his tail fin is clamped and he's breathing heavy(Came on very sudden, he was fine and eating this morning) . I am still checking their poop and all their poop is very normal.

Attachments

KO_

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You definitely have something going on in the tank. I know you said you have 0 chance of ammonia, but have you checked your parameters recently?

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
KO_ said:
You definitely have something going on in the tank. I know you said you have 0 chance of ammonia, but have you checked your parameters recently?
I test my perams like 5 times yesterday and rechecked ammonia about 7. I was freaking out all day yesterday and all night. The fish are still alive but I don't think the guy with the clamped tail has long.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The guy with a clamped tail isn't getting any better, I'm just happy he survived the night. He isn't swimming much and he won't eat. He isn't looking so good at all. I gave him some stress coat and I don't know if it will help but I added an Almond leaf to his make-shift hospital tank. If it helps Betta maybe give it a shot for a platy
Also, did a water change and vacuumed pretty good.

I don't know if this will help or not but the fish only itch their gills on the live plants. They don't do it on substrate or the fake plants only the live Anubis. Could the plant be causing this?! Also it's only the platy. The others in the tank don't seem affected.

Herkimur

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Platies do that too.
Not excessively, I catch them do it perhaps once a week and I have to watch for hours to see it.
Then I've noticed they do it when poop won't fall off their bowels and they want to break it off to be 'free' and clean.
At times they flick over the substrate to make debris float and usually turn around to look what floating goodies might be edible.

Other than that they should not flick too often, Gill Flukes are a tough pest to get rid of.

OP
Platyarelife

Platyarelife

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Herkimur said:
My Platies do that too.
Not excessively, I catch them do it perhaps once a week and I have to watch for hours to see it.
Then I've noticed they do it when poop won't fall off their bowels and they want to break it off to be 'free' and clean.
At times they flick over the substrate to make debris float and usually turn around to look what floating goodies might be edible.

Other than that they should not flick too often, Gill Flukes are a tough pest to get rid of.
They flick a lot though

Herkimur said:
My Platies do that too.

I don't know anything about gill flukes. But what I just googled they are extrememly damaging to fish and they've been doing this for around 4 days now and I haven't seen any physical signs of damage to the fish.

New Threads