10 Gallon Tank Platy and Molly - always hide when i go close to tank - Please help

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi
I have Red wag platy and Molly in 10g tank ... i have these two since last friday ... when ever i go close to the tank they get afraid of me and run and hide wherever possible ..even when i feed them also i have to leave the food and close the lid then later after few minutes molly comes to the top of the tank and eat .. and platy waits until food comes to bottom and then eats from gravel .me and my wife are really not happy how these fish act ... may be its their new home i dont blame them .initially we had Danios in there for cycling and they are super active and these platy and molly are not active at all ..i always see them hiding somewhere ..Please help ..is it because they 1 of each kind and dont have proper companion or is it something else ...need suggestions ....Attached is picture of my tank

My current reading are 0,0,10 and ph is 8 . Feeding flakes and dried bloodworm .

EDIT: My platy has killed my Cory .. poor cory .. i platy going behind it but i never realized platy will kill it.

Please help.

Attachments

Last edited:

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does platys need to be in group ???

Hi

I have one red wag platy in my 10g tank and no other platy ... she is very shy and always hide under rock decoration when i go close to tank. is she shy or afraid coz she is the alone fish in there ?

does platys needs be in group of 3-4 ?

Please help

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long have you had her? If she's still new, she may just be settling into the tank.

Platies aren't schooling fish, but sometimes they like to have a buddy. You could try getting her a female friend.

Some other members will be along with their suggestions

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 3 red wags and a swordtail in my tank together....the reds are pretty much glued together 24/7. I have heard that 1 male to 3-4 females is a good match. Do you have any other fish in there?

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have it for 6 days now ... its a female red wag platy ..its doing better than last 2 days atleast i see it moving sometime. but still shy even at feeding time also it doesnt come up ..wait for food to come to bottom then she will eat.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes i have one Yellow female Molly ... molly seems to be fine .. and sometime it makes my platy to run ....

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea mollies are the bullies of the livebearer family but should be fine together, but it could be like Rhan said also...just settling into the new tank.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you just me putting in another 2 female platys that way as molly is bigger than platy it wont make platy run and at the same time platy will have company to swim around more freely.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As blkdeath says, mollies can be bullies.

If you want to add 2-3 more platies, I believe it would fully stock your tank.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello parvataneni,

This behaviour to me is kind of normal for some fishes that lack a few of their own species or because they're still getting use to their new habitat and surroundings. They're probably not use to seeing another human and get more scared if they don't have more friends. I know that even tetras are the same from experience.

Do you have any proof that your platy killed your cory? Did you see it? I've had a platy with some cories before and never went through any aggression problems between them. Platies are known as peaceful fish.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes i saw that it my platy going close to cory and trying to bite it ... initially i thought it is dead as when platy does that it was not moving .. so went ahead to remove the dead cory out ..but luckily it is still alive and i am not how long it will survive ..it is breathing heavy...i had him in a plastic tub with water from my tank. to my eyes i dont see any body damage on cory ...even i am surprised to see ... i didnt see molly going close to cory at all.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
blkdeath75, yes it was ... i realised later that i posted at wrong location ..so had to post in platy forum.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have merged your two threads since they are dealing with the same issues, tank and fish. I think it will be a lot less confusing to other members.

Anytime you would like a thread moved to another section of the forum, don't hesitate to ask

Thanks!
Ken

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi thar...
Mollies and platys arent exactly schooling fish, but they do get fairly lonely and sad when kept alone. I'd get one more molly or platy just to make them happier. Shouldn't need more than one though.

EDIT:
Can you see if their fins are clamped to their body? The analfins are the easiest to see.

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They may be stressed which is causing them to be shy. Also give them time to get comfortable in their home. You can make this transition easier by having a routine, lights on/off at the same time every day, feeding at the same times every day, this is comforting to them.

Even my platys that have shy personalities (like to hide) will come out at feeding time and eat from my hand.

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They should be fine within a couple of weeks.
New fish are always like that, shy like a little girl.
When they get use to you, feeding time is like handling candy to small children.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom