Platy Acting Odd

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Esimm03, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi,

So this morning my platy was floating at the top upside down , he still swam around but obviously with a swim bladder issue, I couldn't bring myself to use clove oil, so I left him. Just now I looked in the tank expecting to find him dead, however he was swimming around like nothing had happened. does anybody have any idea what it could be?

Thanks, Ethan

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    If you're fish has swim bladder disorder, it does not mean that he will die.
    Now, you're main priority is to treat his SBD, so that h as can return to his normal self.

I would advise fasting him for 3 days and to feed him a cooked, skimmed pea.
    Continue this process until he gets better, it should work.
    If anyone has any better suggestions, feel free to reply! :)

3. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ok,

He looks really fat, at first I thought it was a pregnant femail but after a few months I think it's just how he is built. Could that be the cause?

Ethan

4. Ed204

SBD can be caused by various reasons. Didn't you just recently introduce this fish into you're tank? Is he still eating?

5. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Hi,

I've had the fish for ages, I had a pair and a few months ago one died, my newest fish is my notho killifish. He eats like a pig. I try to underfeed rather that over feed.

Ethan

6. Ed204

Alright . Is there anything that could be bullying him? What are your water parameters.

7. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Hi,

Peramiters are:

PH:7.6
    Ammonia:0.ppm
    Nitrite:0ppm
    Nitrite:5.0ppm

As for bullies, there was a pair of bloodfin tetras in there and one took a chunk out of his tail. However that was a few months ago and they moved tanks straight after that. But apart from that he's not being picked on.

Ethan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice