platty question Help

1. Camacho Member Member

hey guys/gals i picked up 3 females and 1 male on sunday and the lady at the LFS told me that the 3 fems are prego. question number 1: what should i set my tank temp to. 2 how do i know when there about to pop cause i want to keep the fry and grow em out and i dont want to loose any?

2. platyfish Member Member

according to: https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Platy.htm anywhere between 65-78, but i keep mine at 79, and they are very happy and active! I think if the temperature is slightly higher than recommended they may live a tad shorter, but this might be a theory. Also i try to match the temperature requirements of all the fish in my tank, which is a puzzle. Good luck with the fry! I am expecting some soon myselft.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

1. temps of 78-80 are good for them like most tropicals
    2. she will get really square in her belly area (that should be rounded now) and her gravid spot will get really dark....to save them, you should have a heavily planted tank or a breeders net to raise the fry in

4. Camacho Member Member

awsome i should post up some pics thur so you guys can tell me how long i can wait till i put them in a breeding cage

5. platyfish Member Member

Sure!