Platty had fry

1. benharmer87 Member Member

I came home this morning from work and I noticed my platty had fry. She still has the dark spot and im wondering if she's still pregnant or just looks like it. And she had hem in the community tank. I am short on money so I didn't have a breeder tank so I shoved two artificial plants on each side of this artificial log. And another one in this little cave I have. They are hiding in them so they are ok fo now. Will that even work? I did see a fry swim to the surface and got eaten. Will this eventually happen to all of them? How long does it take for them to grow?

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Congrats!
    I actually recommend leaving the fry in the main tank if you don't plan on keeping them all! So worrying about a breeder box isn't too big of a concern really. She may still have some fry in there but usually after a couple days her gravid spot clear up again.

As far as survival of the fry, I try not to get too concerned about it. The guppy fry that do survive in the community tank are very healthy and strong fish. If they get ate by the parents you just got to remember its how nature works and could possibly be those were weak and sick fry that got ate. The artificial plants you do have in there should provide them with plenty of hiding.

For growth it will be about a month before you see them get any size to them. I'm not too sure on platy fry but they should grow fairly quickly after that.

3. benharmer87 Member Member

Yeah I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep them or not. I'll let nature take its course I guess. Since they're in a 10 gallon with six other fish. Thank you

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yeah, its hard to watch them get ate but its better than making all your fish now suffer from overstocking.

5. benharmer87 Member Member

I just went to the lfs and got a bunch of plants cuz I realized my tank was kinda plain and open. I wanted to atleast give them a fighting chance. Whatever happens happens. Atleast my tank looks better

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Awesome! did you get more artificial or live plants?

7. benharmer87 Member Member

Artificial for now till I learn more about live plants

8. Bobthefishy Initiate Member

To be honest, a couple of fry will normally survive anyway. I leave my platy fry in the main tank and they often thrive (especially if you have lots of hiding places.)

9. benharmer87 Member Member

Cool nice to know thx