Platty Dropped one fry

Discussion in 'Platy' started by BrandiW88, Jan 8, 2013.

1. BrandiW88New MemberMember

My pregnant platty dropped one fry that I have seen swimming in my tank this morning, so I placed her in a breeding tank in my main tank. It has been about 4 hours now and no more fry. Should I take her out of the tank and put her back in the main tank or let her in there till tomorrow?

2. fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Is she looking like she is stressed? also does it look like she has slimmed down somewhat? I usually let the fish tell me when they need to be released. One of mine just freaks out if I put her in the breeder, if your's is like that then take her out. It's possible she had a lot more but most of te other are either hiding or have been made food.

3. tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

In my experience with livebearers they do better if left in their normal surroundings where they feel comfortable. I have had a few of my girls stop completely once placed in a breeder. I would put her back into the main tank and just keep an eye out for fry and as you see them place them into the net.

4. BrandiW88New MemberMember

She isn't stressed at all just kinda hanging out in there doing nothing. I had a platty drop 5 fry over a month ago and then die afterwards. This was in the main tank. And no she doesn't seem to have slimmed down at all. Also I don't see that spot that everyone says about. I never have in any of my females they get huge and then there are fry in my tank. But I have had fry a few times now and this is the first time I'm using the tank. Usually when I get fry it is only a few. The most I had was 6. Probably because the others were eaten, but I have not yet seen any being born. They just seem to show up.

5. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Having made a note of all that... a breeding trap or other unfamiliar surroundings is always going to be stressful, but 12-24 hours generally won't do any harm. I try to put in some floating plants for cover; it might help a little.

6. BrandiW88New MemberMember

Okay so I will keep an eye on her for the next day and if still no fry I will release her back into the main tank. When I very first put her in she was swimming back and forth like crazy for about a minute then she stopped and has just been chilling ever since. My other female keeps going to her on the outside of the tank as if she is checking in on her!

Just wanted to check here quick. My batch of fry that lived are now about a month or so old. I am really bad with dates. Have alot of other things going on.. But they are about the size of a nickle from one side to the other. They are platy-swardtail mix. (They look like pure platty) They all seem to be female. Is it to younge to know this for sure? None have the male fin they all look just like my female platties just smaller. And there are 4 of them.

7. ayladWell Known MemberMember

I see this all the time. Cute, isn't it? :)

A lot of platies on the market are already hybridized with swordtails anyway. Also, I'm not sure if they're born with the swords already formed or if those grow later.

I've read that the gonopodium (the male fin) appears later, but I'm not sure how late. I've never noticed any fin changes, but maybe I haven't looked closely enough.

8. BrandiW88New MemberMember

I got a female and male swardtail from my sister in law, both were very young and the sward does form later. He was about 4 or 5 months before his sward appeared. But I could tell he was a male when she gave them to me because of his gonopodium. And yes I love how my female is showing her love! They are tank mates! They swim all over together all the time.

9. BrandiW88New MemberMember

I let her out of the tank because she started to flip out. Still no more fry. I'm thinking maybe she misscarried and that is why the one fry appeared? It is still in there. We will see if it survives or gets eaten. I do not remove my fry from the main tank. If they live, I find them homes if they do not it is survival of the fitest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice