platty bulging eye???

LOULOU

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi can anyone help. i have finally got rid of the white spot/ich problem, and all is well appart from one of my platys? it has a swollen bulging eye. it looks like a bubble. can anyone tell me what is wrong and what i can do? poor little fella! :'(

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Popeye. One of my Cories has it too. I asked about it in the disease section and Chickadee gave me a good response...let's see if I can copy it here. I hope your fish gets better.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here we go...

Here is what I found on Popeye:

It can be caused by Eye Flukes, Systemic Bacterial Infections, Virus Infections, Systemic Fungal Infections, Vitamin deficiency, Any dysfunction in the physiological processes of the fis. They say that technically it is a symptom of one of these conditions and not a disease on its own.

Treatment is to identify the cause and if there is no sign of infection (bacterial, viral, or fungal) then the water quality has to be looked into. The books all seem to agree that daily water changes need to be done for a period of 2 to 3 days to improve the water quality even if the parameters fall withing the normal or healthy levels. It says that recovery signs may take a week or more to show up. According to the information i was able to find the water changes alone may take care of the problem. If however he is having signs of any other type of infection, then you must treat the infection and that should take care of the "pop eye" as well. The one thing Everyone was in agreement on was the fact that time is of the essence. You need to start to treat the condition as soon as you find it so that the eye is not lost.

Please keep us informed of his progress.

Rose
(posted by Chickadee)

Once again I hope your Platy gets better.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom