Platties

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RWP0505, Jul 19, 2017.

1. RWP0505

RWP0505Valued MemberMember

With 3 females and one male platy, will platy fry survive in a 15 gallon tank with a limited number of hiding places?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Yes, they will "survive" but won't thrive in a 15 gallon tank.

EDIT: oh fry I skipped that part

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    RWP0505

They won't get eaten?

4. JoeBKNew MemberMember

I would separate the fry. I did that with mine and they are doing excellent.

5. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

I skipped the fry part...
    They will get eaten without any places to hide, but your tank is already maxed out on the platies and shouldn't have any more fish added to the aquarium.

6. OP
    OP
    RWP0505

Errrrrrrr...... no thank you FishFish221

7. BettaPonic

BettaPonicWell Known MemberMember

I would upgrade and add plants. Guppy Grass is great.

8. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

My son's tank has the same stock in a 20 gallon and with minimal hiding areas we had 4 fry survive. I've since removed all but a couple floating Anacharis (which always die on me so they will be tossed soon enough) and given him a nice open sword plant of mine in hopes for less survivors next time lol. Our current survivors will be donated to our lfs once they are a bit larger, before they breed :)

9. Celestialgirl

CelestialgirlWell Known MemberMember

I have a 37 gallon and all my fry get eaten. Mine go after the fry pretty aggressively. Sometimes they survive a while, then disappear. If you want to save your fry, have lots of plants and even better, put them in a separate tank.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice