Platinum Dragon Betta - Is This Cloudy Eye?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jnocella, May 13, 2019.

1. jnocella

jnocellaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello Friends,
    I've had this male platinum betta for about 3.5 months. He's grown bigger since I purchased him. He's very active and eats well but his eyes have become cloudy over the last month. He sees food OK. I've been doing 25% water changes in 10 gallon tank using Seachem Prime and API aquarium salt twice a week. Tank has HOB filter & sponge filter. Nitrates are 5-10 ppm, Nitrites=0, Ammonia=0, Ph is 7.6. His diet consists of Hikari Bio-Gold pellets, frozen bloodworms, Bug Bites and Hikari Vibra Bites. Is this cloudy eye or a hereditary issue?Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. Bubbles_and_Fins

Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +688
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi! This is known as diamond eye-- very common defect in dragon scales. It's where those thick scales keep growing and grow over the eye.

3. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,134
    Experience:
    4 years
    His eye isn't actually cloudy, but rather a condition where the scales grow over the eyes which is also known as "diamond eye." This is a common issue for dragonscale bettas because their thick scaling may also grow over the eyes which will hinder their vision. Your betta nearly has his eyes entirely covered which will make him blind, but still able to see light and shadows.

People suggest adding banana leaves to the tank which will help thin the scales. Since he has trouble seeing he may also have trouble finding food so you shouldn't change his surroundings, feed in the same location (a feeding ring will help keep the food in the same place), and give a signal to let him know when it's feeding time. You may also want to feed with a pair of tweezers or pipette which will make feeding him easier.

4. OP
    OP
    jnocella

jnocellaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies! I do feed him bloodworms with tweezers and he sees them OK. When I drop pellets or bug bites in, he sees them OK too. He generally seems to see OK. I hope it doesn't get worse. I'll try the almond or banana leaves. This eye thing only happened shortly after I purchased him. He grew bigger and his eyes changed in a couple of months. I ordered Melafix in case it was cloudy eye but no need to use it.