Platies

1. tropical fish Initiate Member

Geting new tank was wondering if platies would be a good option since they are recemendded for beginners
    THX:;batman

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It depends on what size tank you're getting & what your water parameters are, but on the whole platys are quite hardy fish.
    Forgot to say Welcome to Fishlore :)

3. tropical fish Initiate Member

i am getting around 3 gal fish tank is that okay

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry to say 3 gallons isn't big enough for platys, the only fish I would consider for a tank that size would be a Betta & even then it's a little small imo

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

As mentioned 3 gals is really too small for any fish other than a betta (and that's tight even for a betta, as 5 gallons is the prefered minimum for a betta).

6. nhaiflich Member Member

Agree with above

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. tropical fish Initiate Member

so could i upgrade as my platie grows

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Not really as by then it could already be stunted, you're best getting a bigger tank to start off with

9. tropical fish Initiate Member

ok and are neon tetras compatible with platies

one more thing i used to have a betta fish and it was able to live in a half a gallon, lived for three plus years, why might that be the case

10. Bob Ellis Member Member

A guy can live in a jail cell for years but it doesn't mean it was a good life.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. tropical fish Initiate Member

i see, what about the compatibility of neon tetras and platies

12. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Neons need soft, acidic water while platies need hard water. Please do not keep them together.

13. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

You'd be better off starting with at least a ten gallon tank. In that you could keep a small community of platies and possibly another hardwater fish like guppies. Neons are not compatible with either guppies or platies, and are notoriously fragile. As such, they make poor beginner fish.

14. tropical fish Initiate Member

would two male platties work?

15. FiscCyning Member Member

Not in the 3 gallon tank. They are also a schooling fish so they should be kept in groups, which also calls for a bigger tank. As others have mentioned, a school go platies would do well in a 10 gallon or if you are limited to the 3 gallon you could have a betta.

16. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

It is true that 3 gallon tank is way too small even for one Platy. I would not put a plenty in less than 10 gallons. However, they are not schooling fish although they do like company.

You could do one African dwarf frog or some shrimp ;)

17. FiscCyning Member Member

Although it isn't as crucial as keeping fish like cories or neons in a school, in my experience platies are very much happier in groups.

18. tropical fish Initiate Member

i am getting a larger tank just needed to know if the fish would do OK together, will the two male platties fight or anything like that? THX:;swls

or would two female platties be better and less rikier:;group

19. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

It is hard to find two female Platies that are not carrying six months worth of fry. If you get enough space, you can try out two boys and see if they get along.

20. SW5 Well Known Member Member

endlercollector is correct, most female Platys will be pregnant when purchased. In my experience, male Platys are actually nicer to each other than females, my males hardly ever fought, and my females were constantly fighting, one of them was so aggressive to the point where she killed her platy friends.... Plus the males won't be pregnant... I hope LOL.