Platies Ready For Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Andromeda, Apr 10, 2017.

1. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Hi, I have two pregnant platies. Both have rounded up pretty nicely. I want to wait till as late as possible to put either of them in the hatchery to avoid stressing them out. So I wanted your advice on whether they look close to ready to deliver! :)IMG_20170410_174657_01.jpegIMG_20170410_174716_01.jpeg

2. emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

It doesn't look as if they are almost ready to drop fry. But sometimes they can drop just a few or just even one instead of a whole bunch. Sometimes some fry do develop a bit faster. In general most fry will develop at the same rate but it does happen that some are developing faster and will be dropped earlier.

3. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Ah I might be jumping the gun a bit then. It's always just so exciting when you're hoping to get babies soon!

4. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

You should really put them in about a week before birth. If you put them in too late they will abprt the fry. I really don't recommend using breeding traps though. Could you set up another tank for them to give birth in?

5. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Boy, I wish I could but I neither have the space nor the budget for it

6. Balkaran0006Valued MemberMember

Do you mean putting them in the breeding box a week before they give birth?? If so that is definitely not the way to go!! I actually recommend putting them in the breeding box right before giving birth because IME they will less likely abort the fry. Although I also don't recommend putting them in breeding traps. Like mentioned above even a small 5 gallon tank would be much much better for her and the fry!!