Platies Ready For Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Andromeda, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Valued Member Member

Hi, I have two pregnant platies. Both have rounded up pretty nicely. I want to wait till as late as possible to put either of them in the hatchery to avoid stressing them out. So I wanted your advice on whether they look close to ready to deliver! :) IMG_20170410_174657_01.jpeg IMG_20170410_174716_01.jpeg

2. emeraldking

emeraldking Well Known Member Member

It doesn't look as if they are almost ready to drop fry. But sometimes they can drop just a few or just even one instead of a whole bunch. Sometimes some fry do develop a bit faster. In general most fry will develop at the same rate but it does happen that some are developing faster and will be dropped earlier.

3. OP
    OP
    Andromeda

Ah I might be jumping the gun a bit then. It's always just so exciting when you're hoping to get babies soon!

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

You should really put them in about a week before birth. If you put them in too late they will abprt the fry. I really don't recommend using breeding traps though. Could you set up another tank for them to give birth in?

5. OP
    OP
    Andromeda

Boy, I wish I could but I neither have the space nor the budget for it

6. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

Do you mean putting them in the breeding box a week before they give birth?? If so that is definitely not the way to go!! I actually recommend putting them in the breeding box right before giving birth because IME they will less likely abort the fry. Although I also don't recommend putting them in breeding traps. Like mentioned above even a small 5 gallon tank would be much much better for her and the fry!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice