Platies or Mollies

1. BonBon Member Member

People keep telling me that these two orange fish are platies but at my LFS they said they were mollies. Which is it?

Attached Files:

2. peregrine Member Member

Those are Mickey Mouse Platys... Or at least the one with the dark spot near it's tail is. The other looks to be a regular platy

EDIT: Let me rephrase They REALLY look like platys..

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

The orange one is a Molly, the other is a Platy.

4. BonBon Member Member

Is it okay to have platies and mollies living in a tank together? Will a male Molly and a male Plath still fight over the females?

EDIT: Not Plath, Platy (autocorrect)

5. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

From what i understand is, mollies and platies can mate. And it can be bad for mamma platy fish because molly fry are larger, so labor could kill the momma fish. I've only heard this info 1 time so maybe another member can confirm it to be accurate.

They both appear to be female so consider the above advice in case you plan to buy more fish. I would make sure to get more females but they are usually pregnant :/

6. peregrine Member Member

No they won't fight over a female. They are different species..They may be fine. Lots of different opinions on Mollies and tank mates.

Lady Monster.. interesting. Didn't think they would. But I could be wrong. Just going by the normal living things stuff.

7. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

They're OK to keep together as long as your water is hard. Mollies need hard water.

8. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

They cannot interbreed. Genetic incompatibility, as well as functional incompatibility.

Doesn't mean the male won't try, though. I've seen male Platies chasing fat female barbs! It's the shape that attracts them, and the bigger, the better.

And I agree with hampalong on the ID, one platy and one Molly.

9. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

The interbreeding that i heard of was a molly and guppy. Which can breed. But not molly and platy. Chromedome52 is right.