Platies not mating for a month

Redtailsharkboi

I got a male bumblebee platy with a female red Mickey mouse and sunburst wag. The male will not chase the females but stays close to the mickeymouse but the Mickey Mouse platy is not pregnant even after a month any advise it’s a 10 gallon with 2 Corydoras. Will soon be moved to 37 gallon

FoldedCheese

What are your exact water parameters and water change schedule? I'm not experienced with platy's but other members will need that info to advise.

e_watson09

Generally they breed like rabbits in the right conditions. If they conditions aren't right they won't breed.

What is your water parameters? How often do you feed and what do you feed? Can you post a photo of the tank? Gestation is about a month so depending on when (if) they started breeding you may not see any signs of it yet

jdhef

You may just need to light some candles and put on a Barry White album.

Bwood22

You may just need to light some candles and put on a Barry White album.
I was going to suggest Marvin Gaye.

Redtailsharkboi

I feed my platies omega 1 tropical flakes once or twice a day

FoldedCheese

I feed my platies omega 1 tropical flakes once or twice a day
Parameters are related to your water quality and are more important to know. Most chain pet stores will test your water for free. Although a liquid tests are more accurate so I would suggest investing in one. The API master test kit is a good one.

Redtailsharkboi

I will see if I can do a water test also can you do something to encourage them to breed like conditioning them with live food or should I move them to my 37 when it’s ready

e_watson09

Have you considered feeding any frozen foods? While flakes are an okay food to feed I find when trying to breed fish having a good healthy varied diet is key (on top of having prestine water quality and great cover for the babies for when they do breed).

I always liked to feed a combination of a high quality pellet like Spectrum and a couple varieties of frozen food. Most often I would feed frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. When breeding I usually try to feed twice a day. Once a day is the high quality pellet then 3-4 times a week I'd try to also feed frozen.

Higher quality foods conditions the fish to breed, and to not eat their young as much. Best breeding comes from healthy well fed fish.

Parameters are related to your water quality and are more important to know. Most chain pet stores will test your water for free. Although a liquid tests are more accurate so I would suggest investing in one. The API master test kit is a good one.
While yes water quality is important but diet is very important as well when breeding fish. Plus hiding places within the tank. Many fish keepers have livebearers that deliver babies in their tanks and never even notice them.

FoldedCheese

While yes water quality is important but diet is very important as well when breeding fish. Plus hiding places within the tank. Many fish keepers have livebearers that deliver babies in their tanks and never even notice them.

I understand that the environment makes all the difference. Although if they breed "like rabbits" then the water quality in this case needs some attention which is why I asked the question again. Also to let OP know where they can get their water tested if they don't have a kit. That's exactly my point. They are prolific breeders so something is off with the tank and my money is on the water.

emeraldking

I got a male bumblebee platy with a female red Mickey mouse and sunburst wag. The male will not chase the females but stays close to the mickeymouse but the Mickey Mouse platy is not pregnant even after a month any advise it’s a 10 gallon with 2 Corydoras. Will soon be moved to 37 gallon
Well, most fish don't work with a steady agenda. About 3-5 weeks is a normal gestation period. But it could also be longer for that matter. I wouldn't worry too much. Let Nature go its course and when they feel up to it, it will happen...
Generally they breed like rabbits in the right conditions. If they conditions aren't right they won't breed.
In general, you're right. But it also happens that a female just dislikes the male. And the male can chase her the whole day, but it's the female herself that will decide wether she allows a male to mate with her or not. And there are some other options why nothing happens. But in general, you are right with your answer.
They are prolific breeders so something is off with the tank and my money is on the water.
Yes, in general they are prolific breeders but the water doesn't have to be the problem. See my reply above...

Redtailsharkboi

My sunburst wag is getting bullied by the the male bumblebee for some reason

Similar Aquarium Threads

• CHAMELEON_BREEZE
  • Platy
Replies
Views
CHAMELEON_BREEZE
  • ScottyNPT
  • Platy
Replies
Views