Platies in high traffic areas?

Elijahtheguy

Do platies do well in a high traffic area in the house?

Betta'sAnonymous

They might spend more time begging for food that way. Thats what ours do when we approach the tank.

Elijahtheguy

Oh ok lol. But the high traffic won't cause stress for them right?

Betta'sAnonymous said:
They might spend more time begging for food that way. Thats what ours do when we approach the tank.
Oh ok lol. The high traffic won't cause stress for them though right?

Betta'sAnonymous

Elijahtheguy said:
Oh ok lol. The high traffic won't cause stress for them though right?
Maybe if it creates a lot of serious vibrations. I tend to keep my tanks out of high traffic zones and more in the corners. Less risk of someone bumping it and causing some major problems.

SM1199

I think platies would be one of my top decisions for a high-traffic area. They're interactive and hardy, not phased by much. At least in my in my experience.

AggressiveAquatics

They should be ok as long as your not always blasting music or yelling causing vibrations.

Chris1212

Mine bolt for the surface anytime someone walk by because they are looking for food. If you just look at the tank they start performing it seems. I have three male Platies among a few other fish. The biggest platy is the king of the tank and definitely pushes everyone else around.

cowplanet

We’ve got our tank in the library/den, which is a mix of quiet and raucous frivolity, depending on what the children are up to and whether the youngest is opening/shutting the cabinet doors (it’s a built-in bookcase). I have two platies with wildly different personalities. Rey is dominant, instantly had happy fins and zoomed all over the tank, prefers filter and air stone cranked for maximum fun. Finn took a good week of adjusting to his new home, prefers a lower current, definitely gets stressed with water changes while Rey seems more keen on trying to find a way into the gravel vac.

When people come up to the tank, Rey is all for it, probably hoping for food. Finn will only come to the front and top if he sees me. Both, however, seem to mostly be okay when the girls are being rowdy in the same room. I’ve tried to keep an eye on them. Rey pretty much pushes his head against the glass to watch; Finn peeks around his Jedi friend. Sometimes he clamps his fins or retreats.

LuckyGourami

They should be fine as long as you have a lid on your tank. One of my platies was a little skittish to begin with, and when I came around the corner suddenly one day, she freaked out and started zipping around. She would have shot right out of the tank if not for the lid. She is pretty calm now. Anytime someone stands near the tank, she and the others beg for food. They don't even care who it is.

Nobody

My platies are always in whatever corner of the tank is closest to a person. So is my Bolivian ram, but I think she learned it from the platies :/

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom