platies have ick

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by allaboutfish, Jan 5, 2013.

1. allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

So my platies have ick. I think ive decided to do heat and aquarium salt but the heater I have isn't adjustable. I would like to switch it out with another one but how do I do that without spreading the ick?

2. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

I would simply do the heat treatment and no salt, I may be wrong but I don't think the salt is necessary.

As far as the heaters go you may be okay, but I'd rinse them and dry them very well before moving them just in case.

Someone else may have better advice :p but this is what I normally do if I must switch heaters.

3. ButterbeanValued MemberMember

You don't have to use the salt and with any of the fish, snails without scales you should not use it. I agree with aquaticat if you wipe them off really good rinse and dry and that should do it. There sure seems to be a lot of Ich problems right now but if your fish have to have something Ich is the easiest to treat/cure Good luck

4. allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

Ok thanks

5. allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

How long will the heat take to get rid of it?

6. ButterbeanValued MemberMember

It depends, it can take a while though. Just watch to make sure they are not getting any worse. Heat will cure almost all cases of Ich however there is one that is hard to kill and it needs to be treated with meds but there is no reason to even think about meds unless it gets worse or you can't get rid of it after a couple of weeks or so. Make sure to do your water changes and vacuuming to get rid of it as it falls off your fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice