Platies - Females Only?

1. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

So I bought three platies as my first fish awhile ago, 1 male and 2 females. Females immediately got pregnant and started dropping a few fry now and then. About 6 weeks ago, I lost the male, but they are still dropping fry. I am so tired of fry, I try to save them, bought another fish tank for them, Im probably gonna try to give them away for free on craigslist or something, for soon I will have to keep no other fish but platies. So I wonder if it would be fine to just keep 2 female platies and no male? BTW the two fry that grew up to a decent size now are both females, and the others are still very small, so I don't think they fertilize the two original females.

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

They should be fine. Female platies can store sperm for 3-5 months too.

3. OP
    OP
    N

4 months more of platy fry!
    Does anyone want absolutely free platies in Baltimore? :)

4. fishwitch

fishwitch New Member Member

They aren't severely aggressive fish, so females only should be fine.

If it helps, I bought a lone gold twinbar platy from the LFS and she gave birth twice now. Only one surviving fry, but I was so confused when it first happened and there were no other platy's. I joked that she was "budding" :)

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Female platies only sounds fine to me.

6. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

Just the females is fine. They can continue to drop fry, but mine only did a max of twice after no contact with a male. Hopefully yours will be the same.

7. OP
    OP
    N

OK, thanks all, I am relieved they dont need male :)

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They're actually much happier without a male.