Platies - Females Only?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Natalya, Aug 2, 2017.

1. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

So I bought three platies as my first fish awhile ago, 1 male and 2 females. Females immediately got pregnant and started dropping a few fry now and then. About 6 weeks ago, I lost the male, but they are still dropping fry. I am so tired of fry, I try to save them, bought another fish tank for them, Im probably gonna try to give them away for free on craigslist or something, for soon I will have to keep no other fish but platies. So I wonder if it would be fine to just keep 2 female platies and no male? BTW the two fry that grew up to a decent size now are both females, and the others are still very small, so I don't think they fertilize the two original females.

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

They should be fine. Female platies can store sperm for 3-5 months too.

3. OP
    OP
    N

4 months more of platy fry!
    Does anyone want absolutely free platies in Baltimore? :)

4. fishwitch

fishwitch New Member Member

They aren't severely aggressive fish, so females only should be fine.

If it helps, I bought a lone gold twinbar platy from the LFS and she gave birth twice now. Only one surviving fry, but I was so confused when it first happened and there were no other platy's. I joked that she was "budding" :)

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Female platies only sounds fine to me.

6. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

Just the females is fine. They can continue to drop fry, but mine only did a max of twice after no contact with a male. Hopefully yours will be the same.

7. OP
    OP
    N

OK, thanks all, I am relieved they dont need male :)

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They're actually much happier without a male.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice