Platies Dying Mysteriously Help

1. jatcar95 Initiate Member

First some aquarium details (can't fill it in on my profile since this is my first post): I have a 20 gallon semi-planted with 2 platies and 4 cory's. I recently moved from a 30 gallon tank because I had some space restraints (about two weeks ago).

So this last weekend I had 8 platies, and since then I've had one or two die each day. The first symptom is swimming around with clamped fins, then they'd start being unable to swim very well (like laying upside-down or floating tail up), and usually by the next day they'd be dead.

I checked all my water parameters with the AP master set, and all is good. I've had the original 3 platies for about 6 months, and the rest are their offspring. I've never had any die before this, so it's quite alarming. The corys seem totally fine.

I thought maybe it was the stress of moving tanks, but they seemed totally fine when I got them in the new tank, up until they started dying. I got new plants for my tank, so maybe some disease was transmitted via those?

The last two still seem healthy. No clamped fins and still very active, eating, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Did you cycle the 20 gallon before adding them?

What are the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

3. jatcar95 Initiate Member

I used the same filter from my old tank, so I assumed the bacteria were all still present.
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0

I haven't done a nitrate test in a few days, so I'll do one after work today. I did a 15% water change when the first fished died (4 days ago), so I've kind of been assuming nitrate is low.

4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah if you moved the filter over that should be fine.

Were the new plants with fish before you got them?

Have you changed their food?

Is the new water similar to their old tank water? (from the same water source, same Ph, etc.)

5. Manjit Member Member

I think this might be due to some parasites... because if water quality is bad then tetras would not do fine... But it will be good if you treat them all... chances of infectios are there...

6. Manjit Member Member

i would reccomend an multipourpose antibiotic and 1 tbs of aquarium salt per gallon...

7. jatcar95 Initiate Member

I believe the plants were with fish before I got them. Starting to think I should have quarantined the plants...but I thought you only did that for fish.

Same food, and water is from the same source. I have started using a new water conditioner though.

8. jatcar95 Initiate Member

That's what I was thinking as well (you're taking about the corys right?). Thanks for the advice, I will definitely grab some antibiotics and salt. Any particular brand you'd recommend?

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What's your pH? I wouldn't blindly starting adding meds yet.

10. jatcar95 Initiate Member

Okay. I've always had trouble reading the results on the Master API kit for pH, but I believe it's around 7.4. Perhaps more importantly, I've always gotten about the same reading since I got the fish, and haven't had issues previously.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Platies are hard water fish, and the fry might be having trouble if the water is soft. Could you get the KH and GH tested? An LFS might be able to do that for you.

12. jatcar95 Initiate Member

The fry I had were mostly full grown, and I had some that grew fully into adulthood. If that's an issue, I'm not sure why it wouldn't have come up before now. I'll take some water to the LFS and see what they say though.

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Your source water could have changed without you knowing. It's worth exploring!

14. jatcar95 Initiate Member

I will double check for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's static.

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely not. In some places, like Houston, they add extra chlorine to the water after it rains hard.